Any freshwater dive sites up there in Alaska?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LakeScubaDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey do you all have any freshwater dive sites there in Alaska? We don't know of any and would like to add Alaska to our map if any, thanks!

Chris

LakeScubaDiver:
Hey do you all have any freshwater dive sites there in Alaska? We don't know of any and would like to add Alaska to our map if any, thanks!

Chris

Wow, I've been so spoiled by the marine environment I haven't thought of lakes in a long time-good question! The southcentral divers probably know lots of inland places to dive. Here's my $.02 anyway...when I lived in Palmer we jumped in a couple lakes right next to the Glenn Hwy. one was just before Palmer and was a jello mud hole, another was by a rest area about 40 minutes out of Palmer on the Glenn, some neat boulders from when they built the Glenn Hwy, and more jello-mud. There's also a small lake at the top of Hatcher Pass road that we dove, more big rocks and little bug/shrimpy thingies. Another one was Hidden Lake on the Kenai Peninsula, it was fun to dive only when the (rotting) salmon were in there:D Maybe someone else knows the names of the other lakes?

Poog:coffee:

Yes there are.

If you ever make the trip up here, I'll be glad to take you diving in Hidden Lake on the Kenai Peninsula. Every time I've been there the water has been surprisingly clear and there are actually a variety of interesting things to see.... for a freshwater dive site :D

It's best in the summer though.... even though the 32" bar on my chainsaw would access the water, it's just so much better in the ocean right now... and much less work to get there :11:

Yea, that lake 40 Miles up the Glen from Palmer is Long Lake, with a bunch of cool big boulders in it. It gets quite cold below the thermocline there, even in July (less than 45). There are also many, many lakes around the Matanuska Valley. Up in Jonesville Coyote lake is a cool dive, shallow (<15') but you can find lots of fossils in it.

I watch that Prospecting show on TV...very interesting...I bet it is addicting!

Someone mentioned Summit Lake in Hatcher's already. It is kinda cool, with some neat boulders and those cool shrimpybugs in it, along with occasional animal bones here and there. It gets really cold, and the vis gets terrible below about 15 feet. Vis is pretty good above that though.

I dove Finger Lake in 7-07 and it wasn't bad. The bottom was pretty muddy, but there was so much interesting trash down there I had a pretty good time.

I have definitely wanted to try Long Lake, that sounds fun. Also probably cool but certainly hard to get to would be Symphony Lake in Eagle River. It is something like 70 feet deep and at somewhereabouts 3000ish feet alt.

Yes there are.

If you ever make the trip up here, I'll be glad to take you diving in Hidden Lake on the Kenai Peninsula. Every time I've been there the water has been surprisingly clear and there are actually a variety of interesting things to see.... for a freshwater dive site :D

It's best in the summer though.... even though the 32" bar on my chainsaw would access the water, it's just so much better in the ocean right now... and much less work to get there :11:
Hey snowbear. I know you posted this 13 years ago, but are you still diving? And I’d love to go diving, but don’t have a buddy. - anchorage

Hey snowbear. I know you posted this 13 years ago, but are you still diving? And I’d love to go diving, but don’t have a buddy. - anchorage

Snowbear hasn't been on SB since 2007.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom