Any dentists out there ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaoren:
Not at all. :wink: Dental prophylaxis and procedures are a big part of our daily routine as you know. :D
When listening to some stories about physician and dentists, I would rather be treated by a veterinarian.
Besides, real doctors treat more than only one species. :eyebrow:

I'm guessing that a lot of your patients are out cold during the proceedure...so they don't try scratching their nose or answering their cell phone when you have a file protruding from a tooth. Anyway it must be pretty interesting being a vet...root canals and castrations and everything in between. However one species is enough for me!

Sean

--edit K9 Don't worry...I'm sure the original poster has long forgotten about his toothache after reading this thread :wink:

KidK9:
Aqua, thank you so much for the compliments! I am so very appreciative. Do you work in the profession? What do you do?
I'm a Veterinarian. :D

aquaoren:
I'm a Veterinarian. :D

Since the HiJack has already taken place, I won't feel bad about saying hello. Great to see another DVM that enjoys making bubbles. Have you checked out IVS? (International Veterinary Seminars) I attended their Belize conference this last March and had a great time. Its on the schedule again for 2006. PM me is you want some feedback. Ken :42:

Hehe, it's a total and complete hijack by now. :wink:
Hey we could almost have a small conference right here and now. 3 vets, which means more than enough opinions about almost everything. :D
Bookmarked the IVS web page and will look through it later but it's a nice way to combine some work with lots of fun. :wink:

Sweet, vet hijack.

sprange:
A radiograph prior to the crown is always a good idea and can help prevent the need for a root canal -after- the crown is placed (which generally speaking necessitates a new crown). The discomfort you are describing could signal that the pulp is either in trouble, or is already dead and the bacteria are now irritating the tissues around the roots. A crown that was contacting heavily or before the surrounding teeth contact would exacerbate the pain. The 'cracking' noise could very well have been from seating the crown, however. Fractures (especially vertical fractures that travel down the root) can be very hard to diagnose and in most cases leave no other option than extraction. Amalgam fillings that leave only a small amount of tooth facing the cheek or tongue leave teeth susceptible to fractures. Regarding your question about insurance (ie finding fault with the dentist)...-if- there is indeed evidence of infection/inflammatory process at the roots of the tooth and if it is large enough to speculate that it was there before the crown was placed--then a root canal with evidence of healing should have been performed prior to the crown. Now you didn't really elaborate on the type of pain you are experiencing or when it occurs, so you could be dealing with something different, too.

Sean

Thanks. Sometimes these crowns seem to cause domino like problems. They seem to beat up on the "real" teeth they come in contact to the point where you need to replace them with crowns and so on etc.

I guess an online diagnosis of a toothache is a pretty stupid thing.

Good luck with your career.

lhpdiver:
Thanks. Sometimes these crowns seem to cause domino like problems. They seem to beat up on the "real" teeth they come in contact to the point where you need to replace them with crowns and so on etc.

I guess an online diagnosis of a toothache is a pretty stupid thing.

Good luck with your career.

Sorry lhpdiver, this thread has seems to have deviated slightly. I certainly can't diagnose your toothache, but my opinions are free(don't tell my wife)! Please feel free to PM me.

Sean

aquaoren:
Hehe, it's a total and complete hijack by now. :wink:
Hey we could almost have a small conference right here and now. 3 vets, which means more than enough opinions about almost everything. :D
Bookmarked the IVS web page and will look through it later but it's a nice way to combine some work with lots of fun. :wink:

Continuing the Hijack:
This year it was 3-4 hours of lecture over 4 days time, spaced throughout the week. We spent a total of 10 days on Ambergris, made 19 dives, ate a lot and still caught all of the meetings. My gallery is the collection of Belize pics. Ken :42:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom