Any dentists out there ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lhpdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
In Jan. I went to the dentist (who I've gone to for maybe 15 years) (he's a nice guy and avid diver) because the tooth at the bottom right rear was sensitive. He stuck his pick in the filling and said I needed a crown. I paid my $900 for the crown (we are talking Boca...). This is probably the fouth or fifth crown he has done in my mouth. He has the crown made and when I go to have it installed he puts it in my mouth he says - ok bite down. When I do there is a loud crack which caught all of our attention. He looks in my mouth and says something like - well everything looks ok. In March I went back complaining that I couldn't chew on that side of my mouth because it hurt. Interestingly - I was the first appointment of the day and he overslept that morning (his office staff said it was the first time in 12 years) (he is very professional) and kept me waiting about 45 minutes... He took some stuff off the crown to affect the bite and it did feel better in his office, but here it is May and I still can't use that side of my mouth.

Shouldn't an xray have been taken at some point ? If the tooth (or little stub of the tooth which was being crowned) did crack is that my fault ? Don't dentists have insurance for this sort of thing ? Any advice ?

Thanks.

This mess kinda happened to me by a new graduate veterinarian and I had to end up having a root canal. And of course, he denied all fault. So I switched off of him.

lhpdiver:
In Jan. I went to the dentist (who I've gone to for maybe 15 years) (he's a nice guy and avid diver) because the tooth at the bottom right rear was sensitive. He stuck his pick in the filling and said I needed a crown. I paid my $900 for the crown (we are talking Boca...). This is probably the fouth or fifth crown he has done in my mouth. He has the crown made and when I go to have it installed he puts it in my mouth he says - ok bite down. When I do there is a loud crack which caught all of our attention. He looks in my mouth and says something like - well everything looks ok. In March I went back complaining that I couldn't chew on that side of my mouth because it hurt. Interestingly - I was the first appointment of the day and he overslept that morning (his office staff said it was the first time in 12 years) (he is very professional) and kept me waiting about 45 minutes... He took some stuff off the crown to affect the bite and it did feel better in his office, but here it is May and I still can't use that side of my mouth.

Shouldn't an xray have been taken at some point ? If the tooth (or little stub of the tooth which was being crowned) did crack is that my fault ? Don't dentists have insurance for this sort of thing ? Any advice ?

Thanks.

A radiograph prior to the crown is always a good idea and can help prevent the need for a root canal -after- the crown is placed (which generally speaking necessitates a new crown). The discomfort you are describing could signal that the pulp is either in trouble, or is already dead and the bacteria are now irritating the tissues around the roots. A crown that was contacting heavily or before the surrounding teeth contact would exacerbate the pain. The 'cracking' noise could very well have been from seating the crown, however. Fractures (especially vertical fractures that travel down the root) can be very hard to diagnose and in most cases leave no other option than extraction. Amalgam fillings that leave only a small amount of tooth facing the cheek or tongue leave teeth susceptible to fractures. Regarding your question about insurance (ie finding fault with the dentist)...-if- there is indeed evidence of infection/inflammatory process at the roots of the tooth and if it is large enough to speculate that it was there before the crown was placed--then a root canal with evidence of healing should have been performed prior to the crown. Now you didn't really elaborate on the type of pain you are experiencing or when it occurs, so you could be dealing with something different, too.

Sean

KidK9:
This mess kinda happened to me by a new graduate veterinarian and I had to end up having a root canal. And of course, he denied all fault. So I switched off of him.

You had dental treatment by a 'new graduate veterinarian'...interesting.

WHOOPS! I meant dentist. HAHAHAH. Man, if I would have gotten it by a vet, I would have been in worse trouble.

KidK9:
WHOOPS! I meant dentist. HAHAHAH. Man, if I would have gotten it by a vet, I would have been in worse trouble.

Ahh...the dreaded newly graduated dentist. That will be me soon enough. I remember the look on a patient's face when she asked me how many root canals I've done (she was lucky #1)!

sprange:
You had dental treatment by a 'new graduate veterinarian'...interesting.

Well.....you know.....a good veterinarian is cheaper than a good dentist. The worst part is that the cow did the root canal. :D

R..

I've actually (believe it or not) done 3 root canals on dogs. Weird huh?

KidK9:
I've actually (believe it or not) done 3 root canals on dogs. Weird huh?
Not at all. :wink: Dental prophylaxis and procedures are a big part of our daily routine as you know. :D
When listening to some stories about physician and dentists, I would rather be treated by a veterinarian.
Besides, real doctors treat more than only one species. :eyebrow:

aquaoren:
Not at all. :wink: Dental prophylaxis and procedures are a big part of our daily routine as you know. :D
When listening to some stories about physician and dentists, I would rather be treated by a veterinarian.
Besides, real doctors treat more than only one species. :eyebrow:

Aqua, thank you so much for the compliments! I am so very appreciative. Do you work in the profession? What do you do?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom