Any decent diving locations in Louisiana?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ArchDiver,

It sounds to me that you need to get some advice from people who have actually been in Lake Potty-train. Diving the Lake is not for every diver. First, most people freedive the lake, scuba is only used occasionally; the lake is just not that deep. Second, what are you interested in shooting? Last year in the Lake, some typical fish shot were sheepshead, alligator gar, catfish, stingray, drum, redfish and speckled trout(although not too many people even see the trout). As far as size of each specie, the Champion Sheepshead Diver for the Hell Divers Rodeo in 2004 won diving Lake Pontchartrain (there are two annual sheepshead Rodeos in the Lake). Also last year, Club President Dave Chaix killed an 89# garfish in the Lake. Two weeks later, Manny Puig was in the Lake filming for a dive show. In January of 2005, several members of the Hell Divers entered some big catfish (over 20#) on the Council board including the #9 catfish in the state. Third, usually the viz in the Lake is less than three feet. Just last week, you could see halfway down the anchor line on the east end of the lake. No viz isn't for everyone, particularly when the bull sharks move into the Lake.

Bonne Carre spillway is another area that most people wouldn't consider diving either. So far this year the spearing competition has heated up with some very large Carp being hunted in the near zero viz of the spillway. Not just one or two trips but dozens of hours have been spent hunting them.

Rig diving can be the most difficult or it can be the easiest diving you have ever done.
Low viz and current can be encountered but both are easily overcome.

Check out www.helldivers.org for some great photos and more information on the 2005 Hell Divers Rodeo.

www.helldivers.org
www.towersoflife.com
www.fishkillaproductions.com

Zz

Anyone know what is left if anything of the Penrod 61 jackup rig that sunk during hurricane Juan about 22 miles south of Fouchon. I know that some salvage was done around 1980 but was it all removed. It used to be a great dive when it was intack.

Say Cap, check out www.rodnreel.com for the listing in their GPS section. Last I checked it was still laid out there. With the prevailing winds as they are, it would be hit or miss right now. I am going out of Fourchon Saturday but I am heading to Ship Shoal.

Zz

Lake Ponchatrain is diveable provided you don't expect too much. Visibility can reach 8 to 10 feet after several days of calm wind and no heavy rains. Usually late summer is the best time. Somtimes you have to try several locations. I have seen visibility go from 1 foot to 8 feet in a distance of a few miles. There has been reef building projects in the lake that are starting to produce. Water quality is good and does not present any health hazards except in some locations after heavy rains and generally clears up after a few days. One good thing is the deepest it gets is 30 feet with an average depth of 12 feet so bottom time is no problem.
Below is the link to the Lake Ponchatrain Basin Foundation.

Save Our Lake

Captain

Guys,

Anyone know how diveable the lake is these days? Haven't really found any reports post Katrina.

Back
Top Bottom