Any condition reports from CSSP this past weekend (9-7, 9-8)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cyprian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey folks,

We are currently set to hold the GUE Fundies class at Lake Murray pending vis reports from CSSP. However, as I hear it and read it, the vis is basically gone at CSSP. Please post and let us know if that is incorrect.

We would also be interested in vis reports from Athens, Blue Lagoon, etc.

Thanks! :)

Hey, Cyp Can't vouch for the vis at CSSP, but we were at Lake Murray yesterday. Vis was okay UNTIL the three or four classes showed up. Things kinda went downhill after that, lol. We were okay, though, mostly because we chose to dive away from the swarming masses. I will say this, however...the zebra mussel population is thriving and I think the aquatic plants are reacting to the better clarity. They seem to be anchoring deeper and deeper and they are still about to do well because of the increased sunlight at depth. Things certainly seem to be changing with the "invasion" of the little mollusks.

Hey, Cyp Can't vouch for the vis at CSSP, but we were at Lake Murray yesterday. Vis was okay UNTIL the three or four classes showed up. Things kinda went downhill after that, lol. We were okay, though, mostly because we chose to dive away from the swarming masses. I will say this, however...the zebra mussel population is thriving and I think the aquatic plants are reacting to the better clarity. They seem to be anchoring deeper and deeper and they are still about to do well because of the increased sunlight at depth. Things certainly seem to be changing with the "invasion" of the little mollusks.

Thanks Bill. :) We have decided to stay at Lake Murray. We will be diving it tomorrow and Wednesday and then the Fundies class will be diving it Sat/Sun/Mon.

Anyway, I'll report back in with conditions.

Hey Cyp, no reports from this weekend, but for 31 Aug, vis was in the 8-10 foot range and temps were 82 down to about 20 ffw. Below that is dropped off, but still not to bad..

Where do you all enter at Lake Murray? I went there once and was told murrietta point, but it was impossible to get in there. Is there a place you can enter without hiking down a rocky cliff?

Where do you all enter at Lake Murray? I went there once and was told murrietta point, but it was impossible to get in there. Is there a place you can enter without hiking down a rocky cliff?

Nope. All the best places to dive along the south end of the
lake are goat path entry. There are easy places to get in
but the dives are a bore. On Lake Murray the more difficult
the entry the better the dive.

I guess I will have to rent a boat then.. Thanks for the info.

I guess I will have to rent a boat then.. Thanks for the info.

Wait! What is this attitude? Huh? . . . .. By the way, renting a boat at Murray won't get you to any better dive sites -- other than spending more money.

Bill is correct -- mostly -- about the goat entries. . . . Still, don't sell yourself short. The goat entries are manageable with 1 minute of planning. Even if you don't goat enter, there are at least two entry points that are easy walk ins. One point in particular is exactly at Marietta Landing.

Enter at the obvious location to Marietta Landing on the extreme SE corner of Lake Murray. Enter the camp ground at Marietta Landing. As you pass the bathroom building, begin to make your way to the left. Work your way down the gravel pathway. Continue down the gravel pathway to the west. As the gravel gives way, continue down the dirt path. At approx. 600 ft. west of the bathroom, the dirt path abruptly ends. Park your vehicle here. Gear up in this clear area. Make your way directly to the water. As you hit the spot where you absolutely cannot enter the water, turn left. Continue down that path for approx. 150 ft or so. This path emerges onto a nice beach entry. Use this beach entry for your very pleasant dive entry.

From the beach entry, set your compass to 330 degrees. Wander out, explore; have a fun dive. On your return, set your compass to something like 150 degrees. I don't really care what your random wanderings are out there. Set your compass to 150 degrees. This will get you back to approximately your entry point. And you will get to see some interesting things along the way. Don't be afraid to hit a depth of 60 ft. You are having fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom