Any compact camera that 'does it all?' (Wide & macro, raw, HD video)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you keep waiting for 'the next big thing' to come out, you'll never have anything. Pull the trigger, already !!

This is perfect truth, you have to decide what you want, what is important to you and when that comes along you better jump because with a one year product cycle there is no assurance the next year will provide a better solution.

You might have to make a compromise.

For me, I wanted a pro level aluminum housing, wet lens compatibility, low light performance and low noise and high dynamic range (relative) and fully manual capability with knobs for independent control of shutter and f stop. I also wanted near dSLR performance at a much reduced price exposure and to nearly fit in my pocket. There is only one camera, not even most dSLRs, that meet most of that criteria. But, those are my requirements, if HD video is of great importance to you then something else may have to give, I am only making an example here.

The Oly housing for the E-LP1 does not have interchangeable ports. What will Ikelite do here? I bet they jump on this one. One problem and just a guess they are trying to reconcile a tiny camera and lens system with their dSLR "large" ports and housings. They must not have an on the shelf box, lol, to reach for. The other, is there going to be a wet lens approach or a dry port approach, or both or some sort of slip on bubble lens approach (yuk).

Gotta know when to hold'em and know when to lay'em down or run for cover. What to do, what to do, choices, choices, the future is so, well, the future. Many of these cameras that will be announced this spring will not hit the stores until late fall or winter of 2010 or beyond, heck, the S90 and G11 arrival in store is, what, November of 09, like just a few weeks ago and already, the housings and accessories are just now trickling out, you see the futility of it. :shakehead: What is, is, what will be is unknown.

This is fun, let this torture you:

nikon-MX.png

This is going to be THE big goings on over the next few years and the exciting thing is that some of these will make the leap to quality housings and lenses suitable for underwater use. I need a new surface use travel/hobby camera even if I don't put it underwater and the Nikon looks yummy.

N

Last edited:
From the press release
"The new camera’s compact design makes it the perfect companion for all of your dive trips. The PT-EP01 underwater case has been specially customized for the Olympus E-PL1 and is waterproof to a depth of 40 meters (approximately 130 feet). With its durable, high-quality polycarbonate construction, this Olympus housing protects the camera from water while also cushioning it from knocks and bumps on land. The housing enables viewing from either the camera’s LCD screen or an optional electronic viewfinder. The flash connectors allow optional use of up to two UFL-2 underwater flash units via fiber optic cable. A nonremovable front lens port accommodates multiple Micro Four Thirds lenses," so probably not many ports.
Bill

Odd, I just checked Dpreview.. and that is what it says, but the original post stated interchangable. Sometime between original posting and yours, it got changed.

There web site gives no indication, but all their Dslr housing have interchangable ports..the 620 housing, by the way, is a major deal.

The Oly housing for the E-LP1 does not have interchangeable ports. What will Ikelite do here? I bet they jump on this one. ..N

Ike site says the housings are 'under consideration' for the third quarter of 2010. Just in time for Christmas.

Odd, I just checked Dpreview.. and that is what it says, but the original post stated interchangable. Sometime between original posting and yours, it got changed.

There web site gives no indication, but all their Dslr housing have interchangable ports..the 620 housing, by the way, is a major deal.

I said the port was not interchangeable, if it is my post that confused you, sorry about that, my fault for not making it clear. :kiss2:

N

I said the port was not interchangeable, if it is my post that confused you, sorry about that, my fault for not making it clear. :kiss2:

N

No, I read and forwarded the new release yesterday (from England).. in it the port was to be changeable.. now I see they say it will not.

Their site does not say one way or the other, and it seems to be concept at this point.

canon SX1 IS + ikelite case?

28-560mm (equivalent) F/2.8-5.7 optical image stabilised lens
minimum focusing 0.0cm (? "super" macro mode)
manual controls
10mp, 4fps burst
RAW
1080p 30fps video
flash useable through ikelite case
67mm filter thread ring for wet lenses

also, camera, housing support TTL! take that G11!

the single cmos chip means you'll have to dump light on your subject to get good video, but check out some of the samples on youtube; this camera is amazing.

cameras like this and the s90 are what will make DSLRs and camcorders obsolete in 10 years. everyone except for a few sports photographers will be using P&S like this or smaller before long.

I had looked at that combo before but thought that the internal flash was blocked by the big honkin' lens port.

Ikelite Underwater Housings for Canon Cameras

Scanning ... yep. Flash is blocked.

So close!

There seem to be dozen cameras that are missing just one feature, but sooner or later it will come together, or I'll make a compromise.

canon SX1 IS + ikelite case?

28-560mm (equivalent) F/2.8-5.7 optical image stabilized lens
minimum focusing 0.0cm (? "super" macro mode)
manual controls
10mp, 4fps burst
RAW
1080p 30fps video
flash useable through ikelite case
67mm filter thread ring for wet lenses

also, camera, housing support TTL! take that G11!

the single cmos chip means you'll have to dump light on your subject to get good video, but check out some of the samples on youtube; this camera is amazing.

cameras like this and the s90 are what will make DSLRs and camcorders obsolete in 10 years. everyone except for a few sports photographers will be using P&S like this or smaller before long.

Actually the excessive zoom ratio lens eliminates the possibility of wide angle wet lenses. The native lens is very restricted in angle of view through the flat port.

The Ikelite housing does not accept 67mm threaded accessories, from Ikelite page:

"The housing comes standard with flat port which allows full use of the camera's zoom range without vignetting. Due to the exceptionally long throw of the camera's lens, no wide angle options are available for this housing. "

This camera would be very difficult to use for anything other than snap shots underwater, no wide angle, no macro wet lens, no nothing it seems.

External flash would be required again per Ikelite:

"Since so much of the light is blocked by the lens port, the camera's built-in flash cannot be used to illuminate the subject. We recommend adding an external strobe for best results. Read on for more information on lighting options."

It looks like a nice surface use camera with severe limitations underwater and an expensive housing considering the limitations imposed by the extreme zoom ratio lens.

N

Oh well, too bad. i've been looking for a similar setup too. I guess since these are the first iteration of HD + stills cameras, right now there isn't a P&S with the correct feature set. the olympus E-LP1 looks good but i don't need to buy into yet another interchangable, yet incompatible, lens system.

Oh well, too bad. i've been looking for a similar setup too. I guess since these are the first iteration of HD + stills cameras, right now there isn't a P&S with the correct feature set. the olympus E-LP1 looks good but i don't need to buy into yet another interchangable, yet incompatible, lens system.

The soon to be out Panasonic has promise...

Panasonic unveils DMC-ZS7 / TZ10 with built-in GPS: Digital Photography Review

There will be a uw case for it... the only issue is that it will have a flat port, and it is very unlikely wide angle lens will work (with the large lens movement space)... but, unlike everyone else, this guy goes to 25mm... far better than the 35 other cameras are using. And being able to shoot in 16 x 9 should also help.

The built in strobe is also farther away from the lens than on most camera's.

They also indicate you can use the zoom during video...as they have a noise filter to remove the sound.

How are the images for it? Time will tell.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom