Any compact camera that 'does it all?' (Wide & macro, raw, HD video)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Olympus unveils the affordable Pen: Digital Photography Review

Olympus is releasing a new Micro 4:3 camera, E-PL1, it has a Oly housing. Of course there is no interchangeable ports planned for this housing but what if it could take wet lenses? Other than that it does have the HD video, built in flash, but not the wide angle. Cannot have it all unless you move to a 5,000 dollars dSLR rig.

But, if you can settle for SD movies your fully manual, independent accessible f stop and shutter without buttons or command dials, extreme wide angle capability all the way to extreme macro, carry on packable, there is a solution but, oh well.

DSCF0003-1.jpg

fe-fixs90-28ad_3.jpg

N

Last edited:
It's a cool camera for sure. With wet lenses, it could be wide enough. Worth watching!

I am all over that epl-1 unless canon comes out with a evil the size of the pen camera. I will have one of the first ones out in march. The size and price fits a very specific need I have for a travel camera. If oly did not come out with this and nothing else comes out in this size for a evil. I would have gotten a EP-2 in march. Not I get the cost saving of the epl-1 with the same guts as the ep-2, just need to add an extra step to change aperture and shutter speed. No dial control on it.

New cameras from Nikon and Ricoh were announced today too. The CX3 seems to hit the marks, but I doubt a housing will be available.

We will see what size sensor they put into their camera's. Thus far only the samsung NX has a larger sensor then the 4/3 of the pen's with the aps-c.

I understand the oly housing will have changible ports...just not sure on the price.

Interesting camera and potenially a very good underwater one...particularly because of the new lens that will be available for it.

The new fuji F80 and the soon to be out Panasonic are also going to be extremely good camera's...all with good frame rate HD...

I understand the oly housing will have changible ports...just not sure on the price.

Interesting camera and potenially a very good underwater one...particularly because of the new lens that will be available for it.

From the press release
"The new camera’s compact design makes it the perfect companion for all of your dive trips. The PT-EP01 underwater case has been specially customized for the Olympus E-PL1 and is waterproof to a depth of 40 meters (approximately 130 feet). With its durable, high-quality polycarbonate construction, this Olympus housing protects the camera from water while also cushioning it from knocks and bumps on land. The housing enables viewing from either the camera’s LCD screen or an optional electronic viewfinder. The flash connectors allow optional use of up to two UFL-2 underwater flash units via fiber optic cable. A nonremovable front lens port accommodates multiple Micro Four Thirds lenses," so probably not many ports.
Bill

If you keep waiting for 'the next big thing' to come out, you'll never have anything. Pull the trigger, already !!

If you keep waiting for 'the next big thing' to come out, you'll never have anything. Pull the trigger, already !!

If you were referring to me, the trigger will be pull the second PMA is over at the end of the month :wink:. Amazon, BHphoto and adorama all have them up for pre orders already. :D

Back
Top Bottom