Any compact camera that 'does it all?' (Wide & macro, raw, HD video)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt S.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking for a new camera but I can't quite find the right one yet. It may not exist yet--I have done a lot of research, but since there are so many models I may have missed it.

Does any current or recent model combine these features?

- Manual controls
- Raw files
- Wide and macro available on the same dive, such as with wet lens add-on
- 720p or better video

And here is the kicker...

- Enclosure allows the use of the internal flash

Not to mention --

- It isn't DSLR-expensive or DSLR-sized

If you are familiar with the Sea & Sea DX-2g, imagine that camera but with HD video.

The Canon S90 is in the same boat, I think... With the right housing and lens choices you can switch between wide angle and macro while under water, but the video clips are not HD. The Canon SX-1 IS seems to get it all, but the Ike housing prevents the use of the internal flash. I think the Canon G10 is similar--it has hi-res video, but the housings that let you switch lenses under water require an external flash.

I am not trying to pick a fight on the subject of HD video. :) I know that video features in still cameras are extremely unpopular ... at least at DPReview. :wink: (Though if there was a camera that "did it all" and the video was HD resolution but still CRUMMY, that would be worth knowing to rule it out!)

Also, I know that an external strobe is the way to go, but I don't want to be forced to use it... what if I am in a hurry, or it's busted, or I just don't feel like taking a big rig down that day?

Like I said, this camera may not exist yet. Maybe I have to be patient and wait for the DX-3g, G13 or whatever comes after the S90. But if anyone knows of something I have overlooked I would love to hear about it!

I think the Canon G10 is similar--it has hi-res video, but the housings that let you switch lenses under water require an external flash.

The Canon G10 does not provide high-def. video. There is now a G11 out, which I'm less familiar with.

Richard.

I am getting my G-cameras mixed up then. One of them had a hi-res video mode though it was something weird like 1024x768, not a standard HD mode. Maybe it was the G9.

Scott, I want the option to not use the external flash... sometimes I just want to take a small rig for snapshots and I am willing to compromise on the photo quality. (I know exactly what that entails as I don't use a strobe with my current camera.) And I don't want to get skunked out of photos entirely if I happen to have a strobe problem in the field.

The LX-3 is a sweet camera--I am virtually certain that the 10bar housing requires an external strobe though. (checking... Yep. :( )

Canon S90 with FIX90 housing but forget the HD video, it is a photography camera and not a video camera.

I would not count on them adding HD video, there is an advantage to separating markets and for the cameras there can be severe limitations imposed that compromise the function of either capability.

Maybe you should look into the new mini video cams like the JVC in Ikelite housing? I understand these can shoot stills?

N

My G9 has high def video (1024x768) but shoots at 15 fps. A little choppy but once post processed with Windows Movie Maker make for nice clips. Full manual capablility and uses the internal flash. I have an external optically triggered strobe if I want a bit more light.

Even though I've moved to dSLR I'll still travel with the G9 as a carry along camera when I'm not specifically going for photography.

If Canon insists on separating the still/video markets in their compacts, as they currently do, then I'll end up with a camera from someone who doesn't, like Panasonic, and I'll live with some other compromise like the strobe requirement. But I am hopeful that the next "S" camera will add video... after all they even put it into their DSLRs.

Canon even has some cameras that take decent stills and provide HD video, they just have lobotomized the software to prevent raw shooting and manual control. I think that market segmentation is what we are seeing more than technical issues, in most cases. The image still quality of the S90 is not vastly better than the LX-3, for example.

I'm far more interested in still quality, so a camera that does video primarily is the wrong approach for me. I don't think any video cameras that do stills can control a strobe, and that is how I would use the camera at least 80% of the time.

The "perfect" camera for me is really, really close to the available options... so close I am hoping I have overlooked a product.

See, maybe there will be a S100HD but if there is it will likely have a 10X zoom lens and other "improvements" that suddenly make it unsuitable for wet lens options. I am afraid, the one camera that meets all of your requirements save for the HD video is the S90/FIX90 combo but you can wait and see. Maybe we will luck out and they will add HD video with no other changes but I doubt it, the likely-hood is that HD will go low end pocket camie and mid range dSLR and the prosumer P&S market tries to bridge to SLR which means an emphasis on photo quality, not video.

For wet lenses to work there is a very narrow set of criteria required for the camera, among them are:

small lens diameter
35mm fl or 28mm fl
no more than a 4X zoom and preferably less with a short rack distance
housing that keeps the lens close to the port
port design suitable for wet lens mounts
etc, etc, etc

Once you start down this road cameras get weeded out rapidly and then when you toss in full manual control, wow, it gets slim. Then you want HD video, lol. I feel for you, good luck.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom