Any comments on "Gage Reader" Mask's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Esox69LB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
XS Scuba makes a mask that appears to solve "the stick on your lens" bi-focals with
what looks like a much larger viewing area, MA280. I am starting to get a collection of masks and am still looking for the right one

If your up close vision is 1.75 or lower you can get by with it, but you would be much better off with a Sea Vision which is 2.00 and much better made. Cost a lot more also....

I second the Sea-Vision masks.
They cost a bit more, but the workmaship is superb and the customer support is unparalleled.

the K

I have both the XS Scuba and the Sea Vision Guage Readers.

The lens placement on the XS is easier to use, but theSea Vision has less problems with leaking (on me). Also the stronger diopter of the SeaVision is better for "older" eyes.

But the price of the XS is very attractive.

I did have a problem with the diopter coming loose on the XS (SeaVision is ground into the lens) - but is was quickly fixed by ScubaToys (overnighted me a new one, since I was leaving on a trip within 3 days) - and I have had no problem with it since.

A tough choice.

I hate to buy a pricey mask without sticking it to my face first. Are the XS dioper's
just held on by water or same as the "stick-on's"? Sounds like you are still using it?
I wonder if this is a common problem. This is what these forum's are terriffic for!!

No, the XS version has that slanted part

|
|
/

Kinda like that... where the bottom part is the lens, and it's actually a little glass lens that is set inside over the standard glass... We've sold hundreds of them, and have had 3 have a lens come out like the post above...

Also, really the difference between 1.75 and 2.00 I've found doesn't make much difference when diving - at least for me. It's just a distance difference. Does everything focus in at 14 inches or 18 inches. If working on a computer or reading a book, there is probably an optimal distance where it is comfortable for you, but when diving, whether you hold your gauges at 14 or 18 inches away to read them... doesn't much matter to me. Hey, just so my gauges now have a long enough hose... I'm fine with it!:wink:

We sell both the seavision and the XS and both go over very well... but the seavision are a bit more (or a lot more...) Now that we carry the XS ones, the seavision sales have slowed down - so probably depends on how much you dive and what you are doing.

If a world class photographer and you have to spin dials on some multi gillion dollar digital underwater gizmo... maybe spring the extra bucks. If a few times a year rec diver and want to see if your gauge reads 1000 lbs of air or 100... then the xs will probably work out fine (assuming either fit - and both seem to fit about 98% of the faces out there...)

I am using an OM with a purge now. Not only the len's fallin gout, but it is difficult to
equalize around the purge valve. I do alot of cold water diving and a purge valve is
also important. Was just on your site, still looking! Boy, this is a tough thing to shop for when you live in Illinois!

scubatoys:
We sell both the seavision and the XS and both go over very well... but the seavision are a bit more (or a lot more...) Now that we carry the XS ones, the seavision sales have slowed down - so probably depends on how much you dive and what you are doing.

I'm building my own collection of masks, as well... but, mainly because of leaking due to facial hair. (I've asceded to trimming the 'stache 1/8" down, but, it's NOT coming off).

I'm also looking for a good guage reader mask, and looked at the SeaVision, however seemed to have read somewhere that the SeaVisions are less then stellar with facial hair.

If that's not the case, and you carry the SeaVision (guage reader, clear lens, black skirt), I'll give you a call!

On a related note.. I had a mask with bifocal prescription overlays that gave me perfect corrected vision. I lost it but that's another story.

However when I had the prescription mask I tended to swim vewry close to the bottom and found I had wonderful close vision and I think it did wonders for leraning buoyancy control. After going back to a non prescription mask I found I am much more inclined to swim 2-3 feet off of the bottom and enjoy the wider view.

Just a personal observation you might want to be on the lookout for.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom