any Cabo locals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cowprintrabbit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My husband & I are staying at the Westin Regina in San Jose del Cabo in August. I have been researching dive shops, and it looks like the best two (Amigos del Mar and Diversions) are in Cabo San Lucas - and so is Cabo Wabo :beer:! What's the best way to get back and forth between SJC & CSL?

Thanks, Christine

There is a bus, but renting a car is much easier. Bus runs less frequently at night & not late at night.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Thanks! I guess we are going the car-rental route - my hubby wasn't sure, but then he found out there's a Costco down there :D

I'm sure the Westin Regina runs a shuttle bus, but if you can rent a car, the freedom of having the car is great! If you want to slum it, you can take the local bus (which looks pretty modern). I'm told bus fare runs around 10-20 pesos.

The Costco is a major culture shock :)

Best places to shop (unless you want the quantity in Costco) are actually CCC & Soriana. My wife prefers Soriana. Think Super-Walmart, but in Mexico. They're in Cabo itself (the Costco is on the Hwy about km 4 or 5).

I got certified & did a dive with Baja Dive (in Plaza Las Glorias I-4, near Solomon's Landing & Captain Tony's). I had a great time there; it's not as fancy as Cabo Acuadeportes (at Chileno Beach & Hacienda); but Paco (dive instructor) & Victor (dive guide) are great guys; very nice, easygoing. Their dive boat is not the biggest, but you won't be diving in a big crowd.

You should try to do a guided trip to Cabo Pulmo. We did a snorkel trip on our own to Cabo Pulmo, and were somewhat disappointed. Paco & Victor told us that the best diving & snorkeling in Cabo Pulmo are from boats... next time.

If you want restaurant recommendations (or where to park for free), send me a PM. We were just there end-of-May. August will be hotter, but water should be warmer & visibility better.

cowprintrabbit:
My husband & I are staying at the Westin Regina in San Jose del Cabo in August. I have been researching dive shops, and it looks like the best two (Amigos del Mar and Diversions) are in Cabo San Lucas - and so is Cabo Wabo :beer:! What's the best way to get back and forth between SJC & CSL?

Thanks, Christine

Hi Christine,
My wife and I will be staying at the Westin SJdC the 1st week of October. I hear the Westin is one of Club Regina's newest and best (timeshare owner). I will be diving then also, so any trip report would be appreciated. This will be our first time in Cabo, but have been to the Westins in PV and Cancun, loved them both. Have a great trip, bien viaje y vaya con Dios.
David

I do not recommend Amigos del Mar. I dove with them in April 2004 (in the bay) and when I returned in June 2004 to dive with them (trip to Cabo Pulmo), they (Manuel) said that I needed to do another bay dive before I could go to Cabo Pulmo. I email'ed Kevin (owner) about this disappointment and he never replied. I guess they are not in business for the love of the sport.

Instead, I drove to Cabo Pulmo on two days and had good dives with Cabo Pulmo Beach Resort. I also recommend Pepe, but he leaves early (9AM) and Cabo Pulmo Beach Resort leaves at 10AM...

558973:
I do not recommend Amigos del Mar. I dove with them in April 2004 (in the bay) and when I returned in June 2004 to dive with them (trip to Cabo Pulmo), they (Manuel) said that I needed to do another bay dive before I could go to Cabo Pulmo. I email'ed Kevin (owner) about this disappointment and he never replied. I guess they are not in business for the love of the sport.

Instead, I drove to Cabo Pulmo on two days and had good dives with Cabo Pulmo Beach Resort. I also recommend Pepe, but he leaves early (9AM) and Cabo Pulmo Beach Resort leaves at 10AM...
I have dove with Amigos del Mar 7 times each just a couple months apart and each time had to do a dive in the bay before going anywhere else. I just want to dive so it doesn't bother me and I am happy they are so safety conscious. I have emailed Kevin several times trying to get a Cabo Pulmo dive together and he emailed back each time. I like the fact that they have O2 on board and a head with lots of room on board, not just a panga. On the negative side I still haven't gotten to go to Cabo Pulmo because of the hurricane this time and not having enough other divers to go the other times. So I may just have to drive to Cabo Pulmo and dive with Pepes.

Back
Top Bottom