any boat owners out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highlandfarmwv

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
What should you do , aside from providing some easy-climb water steps to outfit a boat for pwesonal diving? What would you do with the tanks, etc? Thanks

So your thread stay "alive" a little longer - I would ask a MOD to kindly move it to the boating forum. Definitely get some tank holders. Some is going to depend on what type of boat you have.

There are a lot of tank storage systems available depending on the type of boat you have. Do a ScubaBoard search on "tank racks" and you should pick up some information. Other than that a cooler is nice, a dry place for your clothes, a gps and a radio. People dive of of everything from kayaks to 120' yachts.

What kind of boat, where will you be using it for diving, how many will dive from it? Obviously you have given so little information as to be of no help to obtain help or suggestions that would be useful.

Let's see,
oxygen
VHF radio
GPS
sounder/sonar
firstaid kit
anchor systems and mooring balls
tag line
ladder
tank racks of some sort
cell phone
charts and nav chips for the GPS
SeaTow insurance

The biggest thing--maybe--an unsinkable rugged and reliable boat and engine capable of bringing you back within any reasonable circumstance that could be encountered-----if we are talking the ocean, that would not be a 16 foot Bayliner fish'n'ski. N

anchors are good cause they can keep you from drifting out to sea, even if they don't reach the bottom. They will slow your drift until you can be rescued. (I just learned that). I have a slip, but no boat yet. Last night i was on a boat that had a very effective metal grid tank holder that sits in the middle of the boat and can be removed.--like a big milk crate thing.

Nemrod:
What kind of boat, where will you be using it for diving, how many will dive from it? Obviously you have given so little information as to be of no help to obtain help or suggestions that would be useful.

Let's see,
oxygen
VHF radio
GPS
sounder/sonar
firstaid kit
anchor systems and mooring balls
tag line
ladder
tank racks of some sort
cell phone
charts and nav chips for the GPS
SeaTow insurance

The biggest thing--maybe--an unsinkable rugged and reliable boat and engine capable of bringing you back within any reasonable circumstance that could be encountered-----if we are talking the ocean, that would not be a 16 foot Bayliner fish'n'ski. N

Great list.

SeaTow is a must (not to take away from the other necessaries). Best few bucks you will spend

Missdirected:
SeaTow is a must (not to take away from the other necessaries). Best few bucks you will spend

IF you have service in your area, and IF they will actually come get you. Vessel Assist
is the service in the Monterey Area, based out of Santa Cruz. A buddy of mine had a
problem down in Carmel Bay, in the service area, they wouldn't come get him. A good
sam towed him back.

Also these plans come in various flavors. Be sure to read the fine print, esp. about
distances. (My buddy DID have a plan that covered that distance).

Get to know your local boat store/warehouse/big box store. If you think you have a love affair with Home Depot, Loews, Costco and Sam's Club ....well wait to you meet West Marine, BoatUs and Boat World ... all are definitely a $200.00 store. Funny thing you always seem to leave with a huge smile on your face...probably because of the pressure relief to your lower lumbar region do in part to a lighter wallet!!!

Not so dive specific but:

rescue flares, signal mirror, glo tubes, distress flag
spare prop
tool kit--for boat--dive gear---engine
mooring lines, fenders
binoculars

Also, in some states and waters a dive flag must be 24X20 inches so you need that and a pole to run it up.

On the tag line I installed a few brightly colored pool noodles and it has a small dive flag bouy also at the end.

Unfortunately, I am still equipping my newest little boat, I want that new Humminbird 987 side scan sonar in place of the Lowrance unit I have. It is only 2,000 dollars, wife person gives blank look!
N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom