Any BCD that is both good for frequent cold water diving( like California) and light travel diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BP/W. But you will need two plates, SS for cold water and Al for travelling but same wing.

I used to use an SeaQuest Balance BCD for both Southern California diving and tropical waters. It worked very well and loved it. Now I have a Backplate and wing from Deep Sea Supply. I use it for both Sol Cal and tropical and it works great.

Any BCD that is both good for frequent cold water diving( like California) and light travel diving?

bp/w though i'll disagree on needing two plates. I travel with steel and it's fine. That said, the best ones are made on the other side of Los Angeles from you. I highly recommend contacting Deep Sea Supply and supporting local business

Some may consider traveling with a steel plate along the lines of toting a loaded weight belt. A couple of weight/trim pouches in the cambands and the lightest travel plate is equal to the steel without having to carry it all around in between dives. N

I use a Genesis "Tropics" BCD for all my diving - mostly here in No. Cal & sometimes when I travel.

Despite the name, the L size has 35 lbs of lift, which is fine for one tank diving w my 8/7 mm wetsuit. Its fairly streamlined, but could be smaller for travel.

Basically any BCD w about 35 lbs of lift would be be good for CA one tank or travel

I normally travel with 15kg as check in and 7kg as hand carry. Extra 2kg(SS plate) means I would have to pay extra for excess luggage!! BTW, I only use public transport so I have to carry my bag from my home to the nearest bus stop and I certainly do not need extra dead weight to carry.
Isn't the OP asking for light weight travelling?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom