Any advice on Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tafflad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Thinking of travelling long Haul and going to Mexico in April this year - looking for suitable resort, which will also allow non diving wife to be kept happy while I'm off getting wet - she is happy with pool & snorkeling.

Had one bit of advice so far - avoid Cozumel and stay instead in Playa-de-carmen, told accommodation & resort is better and also avoids repeat cost & time on Ferry crossing should we want to go to Cancun or one of the jungle trips etc.

I have an open mind though .. and keen to hear from those that have been there.

Would appreciate advice on hotels & dive centres to consider.

Not interested in any Tech stuff, but want good dives, don't mind them being challenging.

the Cenotes near PDC are a must do dive, very easy

You don't mention how long you plan to be in the area. I know I wouldn't want to miss the diving on Cozumel if I travelled all that way. If you have time, maybe you could spend a few days on Cozumel and the rest up around PDC / Cancun.

Actually this thread would get more feedback in the Mexico Forum as this forum is for asking Resort Reps questions.
As for my .02 after being at hotels in Cancun, Coz, Playa, and the Akumal/Tulum area.
If your wife really likes snorkeling I would suggest you stay near Akumal so you can leave your room and enjoy some of the best snorkeling in the Riviera Maya within a minute of two by foot. There are several dive ops to pick from and the cenotes will be a very short ride and so are the Jungle excursions. A day trip to Coz can be made very easily from this location as can Cancun.

Ooops - didn't realise there was a specific forum for Mexico - have now posted there, and thanks for the reply anyway .,... and as we say in wales a Blwyddyn Newydd dda.

I would recommend Xpu Ha Beach (15 mins south of playa Del Carmen)...there are a couple of all inclusive resorts there and also the beach is the best in the area with great snorkelling. We used Bahia Divers for the diving which is an independent dive shop half way down the beach but not associated with any hotel. There prices are cheaper than the hotel dive shops and the service is a thousand times better. Stefano was the best divemaster we ever had for Cozumel, ocean and cenotes!!!(email stefano spedroni@hotmail.com )

bluecrystal:
I would recommend Xpu Ha Beach (15 mins south of playa Del Carmen)...there are a couple of all inclusive resorts there and also the beach is the best in the area with great snorkelling. We used Bahia Divers for the diving which is an independent dive shop half way down the beach but not associated with any hotel. There prices are cheaper than the hotel dive shops and the service is a thousand times better. Stefano was the best divemaster we ever had for Cozumel, ocean and cenotes!!!(email stefano spedroni@hotmail.com )

I would second the Xpu Ha area for a stay on the mainland, great beach. My wife and I aren't AI people, but the area is really nice. Looks a little trashy on the drive in from the highway, but cleans up really well. I would also recommend a trip to Cozumel at least for two or three days. The diving is fantastic, and if you haven't done a warm water/ high vis drift dive it's well worth the trip.
Personally we never have much to do with Cancun, too loud, crowded and drunk. Kind of has a sleazy feel to me. But if that's what you're into,(no offense intended) have at it. Playa del Carmen is starting to run a close second to Cancun in that respect, but still has a ways to go.

Brash & loud is not what I want ... any Hotels you can recommend ? .. or too avoid.

I think it would be a big mistake to not stay in Cozumel. It offers some great resorts..Cozumel Palace in town, Reef Club, El Presidente. All are right on the water, offer snorkeling and world class diving each has their own in house dive OP but you can arrange pickup from an outside shop. We use a Albatros Charters but there are many great OPs to choose from that will meet your specific neeeds. Take a day trip and visit the jungle avoid Cancun! Check out the Mexico forum for more info

I think it would definately be a mistake not to stay in Coz. Some of the best diving in the world most just a 10 minute boat ride to the site. It can get a bit crowded and due to the drift diving you have to dive with a DM and usually as a group but if you don't mind that kind of thing it's all good. Some dive ops offer day excursions to Playa del Carmen for some Cenote diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom