Any advice on Aruba in March?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm the non-diver in the family, but I can recommend Unique Sports right next to the hotel. Hubby and I were at the Aruba Grand in Mid-September, and somehow we both managed to forget his C cards (uusually I ask for one of them to carry in my wallet, separate from the others). Unique contacted our dive shop the next morning, had the info faxed over, and he only missed one dive. They were very professional and fun, and didn't hold an experienced diver like my hubby back. I went out two afternoons with him and snorkeled the Pedernales, which was tremendous.

The Aruba Grand is quiet, but a great hotel. If you haven't booked the upgrade and you can spring for it, stay in one of the rooms with the adjustable beds/Tommy Bahama furnishings. The adjustable firmness on the mattress (two controls, one for each side) gave me some of the best nights sleep I've had anywhere. Those rooms are large and very nice. The pool is quiet but still a great place to wind down and talk to people. The pool bar has great drinks and foods. I can't recommend the other hotel restaurant. Its rather bland and there are other great choices on the island for the same money. You can walk along the hotels and access a number of great restaurants. Our favorites: Sunset Grille for a fancy night out, and Gilligan's Beach Bar at the Radisson for good, casual dining.

From hubby's report, diving is better than you may expect. He got some of his best underwater photos ever in Aruba, and just took first prize with one octopus photo at his dive club's annual photo contest. Its a wonderful island for a non-diver too. As in Grand Cayman, I had plenty to occupy me as he was off diving. ENJOY!!!

Thanks to all that replied on this thread. I just re-read all your replies. Getting excited because we leave at the end of this week. Our trip (through out LDS) has 32 people on it. I hope Unique Sports of Aruba can handle us all. I know there are several non-divers, but I'm not sure how many. I would think that they could contract extra boats if they have a lot signed up, no?

I agree!

Is the Kokoa (sp?) Bar still at the end of the pier. I assume they rebuilt it after the Hurricane.

Yazmeen:
I'm the non-diver in the family, but I can recommend Unique Sports right next to the hotel. Hubby and I were at the Aruba Grand in Mid-September, and somehow we both managed to forget his C cards (uusually I ask for one of them to carry in my wallet, separate from the others). Unique contacted our dive shop the next morning, had the info faxed over, and he only missed one dive. They were very professional and fun, and didn't hold an experienced diver like my hubby back. I went out two afternoons with him and snorkeled the Pedernales, which was tremendous.

The Aruba Grand is quiet, but a great hotel. If you haven't booked the upgrade and you can spring for it, stay in one of the rooms with the adjustable beds/Tommy Bahama furnishings. The adjustable firmness on the mattress (two controls, one for each side) gave me some of the best nights sleep I've had anywhere. Those rooms are large and very nice. The pool is quiet but still a great place to wind down and talk to people. The pool bar has great drinks and foods. I can't recommend the other hotel restaurant. Its rather bland and there are other great choices on the island for the same money. You can walk along the hotels and access a number of great restaurants. Our favorites: Sunset Grille for a fancy night out, and Gilligan's Beach Bar at the Radisson for good, casual dining.

From hubby's report, diving is better than you may expect. He got some of his best underwater photos ever in Aruba, and just took first prize with one octopus photo at his dive club's annual photo contest. Its a wonderful island for a non-diver too. As in Grand Cayman, I had plenty to occupy me as he was off diving. ENJOY!!!

Woo hoo! Only three days till departure!

Paco:
Woo hoo! Only three days till departure!

Please let me know how you liked it and whom you chose to dive.

We leave in june and dove Red Sail last year in Cayman's. We thought it was fine but are newer to diving. Thanks for any advanced feedback.

Well, we're here and today will be out third day of diving. Tonight will be our first night dive of the trip. Unique Sports of Aruba have been fantastic so far. They have accomodated our rather large group of divers and have been good with our newer divers. IMHO, a first class operation (so far). We've dove the Antilla, a couple nice reefs, a jet plane (DC-?), and the Pedernales wreck. The visibility has been anywhere from 60 to 75 ft. Thursday has some longer boat rides to the sights and perhaps better visibilty. I've been real happy with the fish variety and size.

I'll post more later.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom