any advice for sidemount class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If an instructor would be annoyed of a student who watched Steve Martin's videos, I'd say that's a major red flag and to find another instructor. BFD. Use that information to discuss why the instructor does things and not what Steve Martin teaches. Use it as a teaching opportunity.

I don't think that's necessarily true. A sm course is alot of work for the instructor to fiddle and futz with stuff. I don't think most instructors would openly get annoyed, but at the same time if you're constantly asking questions from somebody's online class and slowing down class they're not going to be happy about it. I get annoyed when my patients come in and constantly interrupt me with bs they read from Dr. Google that has nothing to do with what I'm trying to explain to them. They don't know I'm annoyed, but it's definitely annoying. I'm sure a sm instructor is no different. If they're barraged with stuff related to setting up al80s when they're trying to put a student in a set of lp85s it could get annoying.

Or watch Steves videos first and ask your potential instructor how he/she teaches in comparison.

that implies that that sidemount instructor is familiar with his videos and that the student fully understood and can communicate what is in those videos properly. Those videos all say that it is not a substitute for training. I won't scoff a student who comes to me over prepared, but if my opinions differ from what they read and saw, it makes it that much more difficult for me to not only explain why I do something, but now to explain why I don't do something. It can cause all sorts of headaches. Far better for both parties to learn one way, then open their eyes and circle back.

Say this person is going to Edd instead of DRiS. Saying this because I don't know how those guys teach. Edd does not teach the same way Steve does. What benefit does it do for the student to learn another methodology before going into the class? If you're taking one of Steve's classes, then by all means watch the videos, but if you aren't 100% confident the instructor teaches that way, then there is no benefit from watching them first.

I don't think that's necessarily true. A sm course is alot of work for the instructor to fiddle and futz with stuff. I don't think most instructors would openly get annoyed, but at the same time if you're constantly asking questions from somebody's online class and slowing down class they're not going to be happy about it. I get annoyed when my patients come in and constantly interrupt me with bs they read from Dr. Google that has nothing to do with what I'm trying to explain to them. They don't know I'm annoyed, but it's definitely annoying. I'm sure a sm instructor is no different. If they're barraged with stuff related to setting up al80s when they're trying to put a student in a set of lp85s it could get annoying.
You are making an assumption that the student is going to be constantly asking questions and slowing down the class.

Students should understand the why of what they are doing. If I taught sidemount (which I don't as I'm not qualified, I don't think most SM instructors are), I'd welcome the conversation to help the student understand why certain things are done for different configurations. Why is very important. But it does get glossed over. "Because I said so" never worked for my parents, and I don't think it works well for students. I don't ever get annoyed with students asking questions. I only require that they are relevant questions.

Treating someone's medical condition and teaching them to scuba dive are not exactly in the same ballpark.

that implies that that sidemount instructor is familiar with his videos and that the student fully understood and can communicate what is in those videos properly. Those videos all say that it is not a substitute for training. I won't scoff a student who comes to me over prepared, but if my opinions differ from what they read and saw, it makes it that much more difficult for me to not only explain why I do something, but now to explain why I don't do something. It can cause all sorts of headaches. Far better for both parties to learn one way, then open their eyes and circle back.

Say this person is going to Edd instead of DRiS. Saying this because I don't know how those guys teach. Edd does not teach the same way Steve does. What benefit does it do for the student to learn another methodology before going into the class? If you're taking one of Steve's classes, then by all means watch the videos, but if you aren't 100% confident the instructor teaches that way, then there is no benefit from watching them first.
whats an example of something they teach different?

You are making an assumption that the student is going to be constantly asking questions and slowing down the class.

Students should understand the why of what they are doing. If I taught sidemount (which I don't as I'm not qualified, I don't think most SM instructors are), I'd welcome the conversation to help the student understand why certain things are done for different configurations. Why is very important. But it does get glossed over. "Because I said so" never worked for my parents, and I don't think it works well for students. I don't ever get annoyed with students asking questions. I only require that they are relevant questions.

Treating someone's medical condition and teaching them to scuba dive are not exactly in the same ballpark.

That's why in a previous post I said the most important thing is to walk away from class understanding the hows and whys. I wasn't suggesting that the op was going to slow the instructor with unrelated questions, but unfortunately in the days of the internet and information overload it does happen. So it was a suggestion that if going to a reputable sm instructor the Steve Martin classes are not necessary and could lead to too many unrelated questions. Either way Steve's classes are great, but not needed.

As for the analogy, it's just an analogy that makes perfect sense. I never said the two were the same. But the analogy works.

whats an example of something they teach different?

How to attach bungees and where to attach the rear attachment are two that I can think of that I believe are different.

Sidemount class is epic! I greatly enjoyed mine, but for greatest effect, it's a good idea to do a combined sidemount/intro to tech to really get a feel for the opportunities afforded by the configuration. Most of all, take your time! When I signed up, my instructor grilled me on how much time I would realistically be able to devote to training, and said that realistically around 50 dives would be reasonable to 'really get it' - our class does like 1 or 2 'real' classes every month, then we meet up without the instructor 3 or 4 times during the month to practise the skills learned over and over again. - thankfully we are blessed with free air refills and free access to the Quarry as part of the course.

Back
Top Bottom