Any advice for first wetsuit purchase?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really appreciate all the advice here! A lot of great tips - I'll likely start shopping 5m full suit prices in the near future; if not for us both, at least for her.

On a related note, we were in the quarry just this past weekend... about 15 mins in, my daughter gave me the "shiver" and "surface" signals. After aborting the dive and spending over 90 mins in the heated car with blankets, she was still shivering! Obviously, we called it a day at that point.

We both were sporting identical rented 7mm gear: a shorty over bob bottoms with hoods & gloves. Bottom temp was 46F, so no real surprise, although we've both dove in similar temps and I myself wasn't extremely cold or uncomfortable.

It just wasn't our day lol

Really appreciate all the advice here! A lot of great tips - I'll likely start shopping 5m full suit prices in the near future; if not for us both, at least for her.

On a related note, we were in the quarry just this past weekend... about 15 mins in, my daughter gave me the "shiver" and "surface" signals. After aborting the dive and spending over 90 mins in the heated car with blankets, she was still shivering! Obviously, we called it a day at that point.

We both were sporting identical rented 7mm gear: a shorty over bob bottoms with hoods & gloves. Bottom temp was 46F, so no real surprise, although we've both dove in similar temps and I myself wasn't extremely cold or uncomfortable.

It just wasn't our day lol
That's cold. Coldest water I was able to comfortably dive in a full 7 and hooded vest was low 50s, 47 was quite cold under 45 minutes.

We rent suits of all sizes at Scubadelphia. Henderson has reasonably priced suits if you definitely want to purchase. You could stop buy and see what we have and try some stuff on.

sonofzell,

Would you be able to fit in a medium 7mm Neosport FJ and Jacket? PM me if that would work for you.

For widest range of diving conditions a 3 to 5mm full suit is probably best. Fit s all important. Thicker suits are not as flexible / stretchy, need more weight and may not fit so well. If its a bit cooler you can put a 3 or 5 mm shorty over the top. This suggestion is possibly the best option for minimum expense, not the same as the best option for a higher budget. I find a 3/2 surfing wetsuit fine for down to 45 minute dives at 60 Deg F but onlookers are surprised I am not cold.

Zippers and velcro at the back of the neck annoy me so I get them put to the side

because I dive like this

or a five mill full length front zipper with two sliders one for fly, with attached hood.

more suit more lead

I just got a Pinnacle back zip one piece 7 mil. I plan to use it with a hooded vest. This is the first off the rack stock suit that I’ve found that is actually tall enough or maybe even a bit too long for me and I’m 6’4”. It seems to fit pretty good. It also has actual real Kevlar knee pads and a thick 10 mil spine pad which is rare in cheaper suits. I haven’t gotten it wet yet but I’ll be using it in 48 - 53 degree water for quick shallowish shore dives. It was only $259 so not a huge loss if and when it eventually gets trashed from rocky entries and exits.

I personally don't see much point to a 7mm suit. A semidry is about the same thickness and adds a lot of water control features that add a lot of warmth. I favor using a semidry for cold water and a 3mm or 5mm for cool waters. However, there is no question about the criteria for exposure protection: fit and cold tolerance.

I use my Hollis semidry from 50F-32F, a 3mm full from 50F to 65F, and just a swimsuit for anything warmer. That is atypical, but the underlying point remains: you need a quiver of exposure protection, not just one suit. That said, I would start with what you use most often, just to reduce rental fees.

it all comes down to personal comfort with cold in the water though. For me, growing up in New England, I'm used to cold water, so I'm OK with being cold on my arms and legs. Not a lot of people are though so you've got to figure out where you fit into the temperature spectrum

And then there are people like me, whose legs enjoy cold, but whose arms (and upper body) do not. That's probably common, which would explain why long sleeve shortys were invented.

I have a 3mm, 5mm, and an 8/7 semi-dry. My workhorse is the 5mm. I have a lower cold tolerance than most people and can wear it comfortably in the tropics.

Nice to see I'm not the only one. 75 F -- just when most people are starting to whine about the heat -- is about when I start feeling comfortably warm. Your idea about layering sounds good. If you think about it, a lot of wetsuit designs are clearly meant for that. In cold water, farmer John + beavertail + vest. Less cold, take off the vest. Warm, wear just the beavertail with a swimsuit. (That's assuming you are okay with bare legs; I know many people wear long legs for protection from jellies and such.)

in the deep South of Sudan for example the water temp can go up to 29C.

Good thing I went back and reread that you dive in the Red Sea; I saw this and thought, yeah, but who dives in South Sudan? :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom