anxiety

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

evonder

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I had my first pool session today. i did the giant stride into the pool ok. and submerged ok. got somewhat comfortable and mask clearing kicked my A** took me several times to do it and when I was finally able to my anxiety level at that point was so high my chest was tight. (I am 38 years old a firefighter paramedic) felt and feel like a big wuss. my instructor is very cool saw my anxiety and said tomorrow is another day and we called it quits till our next session in a few days. Told me that we are going to go at my pace and will take as much time as needed. any advice to get over the anxiety and just stay calm. I thought my issue would be inhaling water, never happened, I think it is not being able to see and of course being underwater in an environment I am not in control of. the mask came off ok but felt a panic mode to put it back on etc.. I am going to overcome this as I have wanted to do this for over 30 years when i was a kid watching Jacques Cousteau on tv.just to reiterate my instructor and support system at my lds is very cool and encouraging and patient...

Mask clearing is probably one of the toughest skills for a new diver to master. Don't let the struggle get you down. The biggest things you need to get familiar with is 1. having water directly on your face & 2. separating your airways (Nasal & oral). Most people panic when water start going up their nose. This skill can be practiced on your own time, with your snorkel. Start off in the tub, a sink or standing in the shallow end of a pool. Use only your snorkel (no mask). Basically submerge your face into the water while breathing from the snorkel. You can even pinch your nose temporarily & slowly let it go as you learn to breathe entirely from your mouth (kind of like you would breathe if you had a massive head cold & were completely stopped up in the nasal area). If you feel uncomfortable,.... just lift your face out of the water & try again when you are ready. Have patience, it will take some time. Slowly increase the time that you leave your face submerged & are breathing off the snorkel, until you are comfortable doing it for several minutes without feeling anxiety. Learn to breathe using only the snorkel, until you are comfortable with it. Most of my students find that tucking their chin into the chest helps prevent water from going up the nose causing discomfort. Doing this will easily translate to doing the same thing with a regulator. There's no magic wand to doing the skill & becoming comfortable with it other than time & practice.

Practice. Start in shallow water. Just keep doing it. It will get easier.

tstormdiver is spot on. Take your snorkel to the pool and slowly descend in the shallow end with your back to the wall. When you start to feel anxious, stop and just breathe, even if your nose isn't yet underwater. Inch down until you can get your head under, then relax for a few minutes. It may take a few sessions, but you'll get there. Breathing underwater isn't exactly natural. It played with my head big time my first pool session!

Keep telling yourself that you get water up your nose and in your eyes when you jump into the pool with no equipment at all. This is no different. Let us know when you're certified!

You aren't alone. Many OW students have a similar experience.

Take baby steps.

Progress from maskless breathing on snorkel in shallow end of pool (with option to stand up) to maskless breathing on scuba regulator in shallow end of pool.
Then, without a mask, practice inhaling through your mouth and exhaling through your nose. Be able to turn "on" this breathing cycling (in-mouth/out-nose) at will.
Add the mask and, with a little refinement of technique, you'll be mask-clearing with no anxiety whatsoever.

I think it is not being able to see and of course being underwater in an environment I am not in control of.

I am confused; why can't you see and why are you not in control?

There are very few swimming pools with 0' visibility and by Standards, Confined Water training sessions have to be done in water with "acceptable" visibility, so why can't you see. The first time you do these skills, Standards are that the water must be shallow enough for you to stand up and breath air, so why are you not in control?

everybody went through it. You have the desire....you'll get through it to. :) I know easy to say, but just try and relax as much as possible. It all comes it time. good luck

Good for your instructor. If the mask flood and clear is an issue, you can practice without scuba gear on and get more comfortable. The mask exercises are typically the most anxiety producing part of the skills to learn, because flooding or removing you mask is so counterintuitive. That's probably even more true for you than others because of your training and profession. So forget feeling like a wuss- consider it your training telling you that what you are doing is contrary to what you have learned. I am sure you will be fine, and it is clear your instructor has the right approach. Don't force it- it will come, as will greater comfort in the water with every additional hour you spend under it breathing bottled air.

halemanō;5921963:
I am confused; why can't you see and why are you not in control?

There are very few swimming pools with 0' visibility and by Standards, Confined Water training sessions have to be done in water with "acceptable" visibility, so why can't you see. The first time you do these skills, Standards are that the water must be shallow enough for you to stand up and breath air, so why are you not in control?

without mask vis was diminished, eyes closed at some point due to chlorine irritation, and out of ones element . I was in 4 feet of water.

thank you for the replies. I am heading to the pool on my next day off to use the snorkel and no mask. I am positive that i can overcome this and will feel "in control" in the water as i become more proficient and comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom