anxiety

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the get go I never had any issues with mask clearing or mask removal. Piece of cake, right? During OW checkout dive #1, we're in 20' of water doing skills and when I removed my mask and that 68° water hit my face I felt like I couldn't breathe. I hesitated for a few seconds and had to remind myself that I had my regulator and had no problem getting air from it. That as long as I was still able to relax and breathe everything was ok. Took a good breath and finished the skill with no problem.

The point I'm trying to make is that it helps to remember that as long as you can breathe you are ok. Water in your face is just a little inconvenience that you can overcome. There were a few in my class, including my son, who had trouble with mask flooding & removal, and even bolted for the surface at times. When I spoke with them after my experience they all said they felt the same way, and remembering that they were able to breathe helped them to get through it when they had to do it again.

Don't be discouraged! It took me 2- years before I could breath underwater in a swimming pool! Sounds like your way ahead of me! Be patient, listen to the advice of your instructor and practice.
It will come in time...

Like everyone has said it just takes time and practice. Your instructor sounds awesome.

I always splash some water on my face before I put on my mask, it seems to help avoid the shock of cold water when/if your mask floods. I also remove my mask at the safety stop on most dives and practice no mask breathing for a minute or so. I figure it's one of the more likely problems to arise on a dive so it's worth staying familiar with the skill.

Good luck with the rest of your training.

Back
Top Bottom