Anti-Fogging Treatments for New Masks. (a comparison of techniques)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But contrary to popular belief, a dive mask is NOT molded around an in-place glass lens. The lens (and retainer) is inserted after the silicone has already exited the molding machine and cooled. There are so many variables in just assembly techniques (dirty hot water, fossil fueled hot air, oiled finger prints, factory spray lens cleaners, & so many more). Even day to day assembly changes if production line components run low like changing soap brands to snap the retainers in place.

The best advice a new mask diver can receive is to try the different popular cleaning options (toothpaste, soft scrub, flames, etc) and see what works. And if all of them fail, it's most likely your mask doesn't fit your face perfectly and you need to find a better sealing mask to the shape of your face.

I look forward to your 3 mask test, but out of thousands of masks sold every year with thousands of production variables, it's still a 3 mask test.

After messing around with all kinds of defogging methods for 14 years, what works for me is flaming the inside lens once when it is a brand new mask (to burn off the silicone mold release agent coating), then apply baby shampoo before diving without rinsing (let the water leak into the mask during entry to flush the excess baby shampoo) and don’t exhale from the nose during the dive (which would introduce steam on the lens, stripping the baby shampoo coating off the lens), get a good habit to exhale though the regulator.

Baby shampoo defogging coat on the lens is very thin film. As long as you don’t excessively wash / flush it with the salt water leaking into your mask while diving or rubbing it off with your finger after rinsing the excess film off the lens before use or dissolving the coat by continually putting steam on the leans by exhaling through your nose while diving, you’ll keep the lens clear out of fogging issue. Good seal between the skirt & your face is essential. Basically, keep the inside space between your face & mask dry. Then you won’t have fogging problem.

Fogging is a Physical phenomena. If you apply a steam (100% humidity, 99F air, i.e., you breath) onto a cold surface (82F glass lens), that steam is going to condense, i.e., fogging on the lens.

Water has a very high surface tension (72 dyne/cm). It will form tiny beads (fogs) on a clean glass surface, when steam condenses on the cold glass surface.

Surfactant, like baby shampoo, coating on the glass, would lower the water surface tension when steam condenses on the glass. The condensate would spread to form a thin water film on the glass, hence, no fogging issue. Unfortunately, the water film also would slowly dissolve & wash away the surfactant (baby shampoo). Pretty soon the glass would be free of surfactant & fogging begins.

So, try to keep the inside mask dry while diving (by keeping the seal tight, minimizing mask flushing & not exhaling through the nose) if you don’t want to fog up the lens.

Best method that works for me is use a small amount of Sea Drops on a dry lens and let it sit until I'm ready to splash. Quick rinse and go dive.
I never put it in the mask rinse bucket after the dive either.
Lasts all day.

This fogging problem on new masks came into existence with advent of frameless masks -- those where the glass retainer cannot be mechanically removed. Wouldn't it make sense to find out what manufacturers are exposing the glass to? I suspect that injection mold release compounds are involved. Knowing the chemistry of the product(s) would tell us how to remove it.

Maybe @MAKO Spearguns can find out?

Mako, if you call to ask what, also ask why they cannot just clean it for us prior to leaving the factory.

The best advice a new mask diver can receive is to try the different popular cleaning options (toothpaste, soft scrub, flames, etc) and see what works. And if all of them fail ...//...
But that is exactly the current state of affairs. I'm attempting to find something better or at least a systematic approach to the usual treatments. IMHO, there is an underlying assumption in your statement. Your statement is supportable if masks are so differently treated that, in general, no one treatment is likely to be the best first try. That is entirely possible, but unproven.

Manufacturing loves the cheapest and most commonly available consumables. One of the assumptions in my test is that I'm unlikely to encounter a huge range of manufacturing variables with respect to frameless masks. They have been around long enough for manufacturing to cheapen the process to 'what works'.

Presently, one buys a new mask and then tries things until the mask stops fogging. Each successive treatment is done on top of the previous treatments. I'm trying for better...

Perhaps a bit of explanation at this point.

I have a unique opportunity to test new mask cleaning. In my previous life, I was in-house support to many research teams. I am no stranger to highly conflicting and strongly held views.

So I'll be explicit. Experimental design, Review and Acceptance/Acquiesence of the test procedure, Testing.

We are in the experimental design part. Free-for-all. Many posters have already provided very valuable input. All of them, in fact.

What would YOU like to see tested or why do you think that this is a waste of time and resources?

What would YOU like to see tested

The one thing that baffles me - because I have no rational answer.

Using baby shampoo and rinsing with fresh water still allows some fogging. Small but a little

Using exactly the same technique but rinsing with sea water results in no fogging. (sea water alone or sea water and spit still allows fogging.

No explanation has made sense. I suspect it has something to do with salt crystals or minerals

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom