Anthonys Key Honduras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mainedvr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any info on this resort, how is it during the summer months smokin hot or bearable. Saw most of the rooms no A/C. Seems to be reasonably priced with the 2 for 1 deal.

Thanks

Actually there are lots of comfy rooms with A/C. Nice resort. Nice restaurant & pool area. Excellent diving facilities. Above average diving for the Caribbean, IMHO. Very good deal at 2 for 1. I'm sure it's hot in the summer, but I like summer for Caribbean diving (not so much for sightseeing). Unless there is an active storm, the water is the calmest & warmest. I was there late last May. I would go back. YMMV.

Actually only a quarter of the rooms/cabanas have no AC. Deluxe or Superior do(45 total), Standard(16) only has screened louvers. AKRHN879 - click List View.

The difference between Key/Hillside is about 60 steps up. So is the restaurant/bar. Nice view down towards the water in the trees. We ate there one night, IIRC there was only 2 choices. I don't remember the food.

All access to the Key is via their water taxi only. The pool is on the Key also and a small beach on one side.

The chamber is also on the property should something go wrong. My friend needed a ride one night and it seemed professionally run - doctor monitored and a nurse actually rode in the chamber with my friend. It's also a local clinic during the day.

I was on Roatan the first week of May - I definitely used the AC. It would've been too hot/humid to sleep without it. Not at AKR but 5min. drive away.

If there was a little breeze, we sometimes sat out on our deck under a ceiling fan and it wasn't too bad. Sweated a lot though even just walking around town.

The other issue is the bugs, there's a lot of them. Sand Flies near the water and Mosquitoes inland. Bring Deet or something and expect to use it. Around 5PM when the sun starts to set seemed to bring them out.

We did the Dolphin Dive (about $130) - I'd do it again if I go back.

AKR seemed pretty safe to me. Fenced and gated and as we sat waiting for my friend near the dock late one night security came by twice.

hth, I've got a sum total of about a day there over a night and a morning plus one dolphin dive.

Been there twice for a week each time. My wife, friends and I really enjoyed it. We liked staying on the key (in the air conditioned rooms)-- especially as they had attached cabana's with hammocks-- some of the cabanas are more or less right over the water. Rooms were fairly spartan (in an island sort of way), but very clean and comfortable. Pool is a nice place to relax and imbibe at the end of the day. Water taxi is literally a 60 second ride at max. Ring the bell if the boat's on the other side and they'll be right over to get you.

Food was excellent, wait staff was very accommodating and friendly. Walking up to the restaurant helped (a tiny bit) to keep the pounds off-- the food was much better than I was expecting as an all-inclusive.

Diving was via boat-- professionally run. You come back to the dock after every dive unless you are diving on the other side of the island for some reason. Dive guide's know their stuff, but it's pretty much "resort diving"-- all singles, guided dives, etc. Nitrox is available as are analyzers.

If you do a night dive watch out for jellies-- blow your reg via the purge as you surface-- the'll tend to get them out of the way-- otherwise, expect to take a vinegar bath.

They meet you at the airport and drop you off as well. Security is unobtrusive, but there. Rooms have digital safes for important stuff. You don't need money at all-- everything is charged to your room until checkout, so no reason to carry around a wallet.

My friend and my wife did the shark dive, and while crowded, they both really enjoyed it. I skipped it as I'd done one years ago (imho, shark dives are, for the most part, do one, check the box, move on).

Very well priced, especially with the two for one deal, I can't say a single bad thing about it-- we all had a lovely time both times. Very enjoyable in a "let's lay in the hammocks and check out of the world while we have a glass of wine" sort of way-- my wife and I will definitely be going back again.

R.

I find it freakin' hot. But a friend and SB member has spent a collective 6+ weeks in West End Roatan in consecutive August's and loves it.

Thanks for all the info very helpful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom