Another "WWYD?" question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the input, everyone. Interesting range of responses. As I said before, I thought nothing about it, as far as safety goes, at the time. I must say, I really relished the feeling of being (somewhat) on my own, and I liked the feeling of REALLY being responsible for my own safety for those few minutes. Maybe I will work towards being a solo diver someday. I know I'm a long way from even being a decent buddy diver right now. But I'm learning as much as I can as fast as I can, while still aware that there's no substitute for experience. Thanks again for the thoughtfull replies.

What you did is okay. Any dive you get back from is a good dive. I guess I don't read the right literature, I haven't seen the statistics of divers evaporating, exploding, being eaten, or melting because their buddies let them go up alone.

Read the waiver you sign before diving, you and you alone are responsible for your safety. If you feel comfortable ascending on a line by yourself, do it. Your mommy isn't there (I guess) to spank you when you get to the boat.

havnmonkey:
I agree with the comments above... however, why team up with buddies who's dive plan is obviously well beyond yours? I think that type of scenario might put you in a situation you wouldn't put yourself in normally.

That's easy: Because I'm new and don't have anybody else to dive with yet. And these guys are cool enough to dive with me. We didn't do anything I haven't done before, except the ascent, and I've learned quite a bit from them on just the two dives I've done with them so far.

Nailer99:
Thanks for the input, everyone. Interesting range of responses. As I said before, I thought nothing about it, as far as safety goes, at the time. I must say, I really relished the feeling of being (somewhat) on my own, and I liked the feeling of REALLY being responsible for my own safety for those few minutes. Maybe I will work towards being a solo diver someday. I know I'm a long way from even being a decent buddy diver right now. But I'm learning as much as I can as fast as I can, while still aware that there's no substitute for experience. Thanks again for the thoughtfull replies.

Come to the dark side Luke...just kidding

One of the best courses I ever took to learn how to be a more self-reliant diver and a better dive buddy, was the Rescue Diver course. My recommendation is get your AOW card then do Rescue Diver.

"Go into the light! Go into the light, honey!..."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom