Another Where should I do my DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBoy

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know there are already ALOT of posts asking for recommendations on where to do a DM. Currently Rescue certified with nearly 100 dives. Always wanted to to my DM since a first qualified back when i was 13. Currently based in the UK. Currently looking at a career break after a divorce and closing my business so there is no time limit. At this point in time i love the idea of working in the industry so i am confident that DM is worthwhile. I have been fortunante enough to dive in a lot of countries from the Caribbean/Mexico/Florida, Red Sea, Australia, New Zealand, SE Asia, Fiji but currently at a lose for where i want to complete my DM and probably instructor. I have seen alot of people mention the mentor/instructor is the most important thing, unfortunalty i dont have the budget to travel around the world and make sure i like the team before starting so going to do loads of research etc once i choose but if anyone has some pointers on how to pick and how to filter out bad centres it will be appreciated.

1. I want somewhere with great marine life, ideally the likes of manta's, whale sharks, hammerheads etc. Thinking the Philippines but never been. Anyone have recommendations for other countries or where in Philippines is best?

2. How do you approach vetting the dive shop?

3. is it worth doing instructor at the same place as my DM? or is multiple places better for more experience?

4. "Free" internship vs paid? as time isnt an issue, what are people thoughts on free but longer internships?

My thought has always been to do it in the area where you want to eventually work. You may have a better chance getting on the shop's staff than an "outsider", plus you will be doing some diving right where you may wind up DMing (which IMHO) is even more important than getting tons of varied experience in different locales (which of course is also good).

My two cents trying to answer your questions.
1. Marine life is going to depend on location of course but also time year. Philippines is awesome as well as Indonesia.
2. Contact the shops you are looking at and see if you vibe with them. Also how long have there managers, instructors been there, good indicator if the employees stick around. Most of the shops websites state when they managers/instructors/guides started working with them.
3. If you like your DM experience with the shop you choose why not do your instructor with them as you know what your going to get. Not all shops will do an IDC so check when you are looking at them for DM.
4. I'm not a fan of the "free" internships for DM as it's just free labor for the shop and you may not get the experience or training you are looking for.

Here are two links one in Philippines and one in Indonesia. The resort in the Philippines I have dove with and the guides/instructors were great and long term. The resort in Indonesia has a great Course Director and I have dove with him in the past, great guy and great instructor. Both are paid programs.

I have been fortunante enough to dive in a lot of countries from the Caribbean/Mexico/Florida, Red Sea, Australia, New Zealand, SE Asia, Fiji

Not trying to be snarky but I’d think after exploring that many locations you’d be your best source of advice.

My two cents trying to answer your questions.
1. Marine life is going to depend on location of course but also time year. Philippines is awesome as well as Indonesia.
2. Contact the shops you are looking at and see if you vibe with them. Also how long have there managers, instructors been there, good indicator if the employees stick around. Most of the shops websites state when they managers/instructors/guides started working with them.
3. If you like your DM experience with the shop you choose why not do your instructor with them as you know what your going to get. Not all shops will do an IDC so check when you are looking at them for DM.
4. I'm not a fan of the "free" internships for DM as it's just free labor for the shop and you may not get the experience or training you are looking for.

Here are two links one in Philippines and one in Indonesia. The resort in the Philippines I have dove with and the guides/instructors were great and long term. The resort in Indonesia has a great Course Director and I have dove with him in the past, great guy and great instructor. Both are paid programs.

Great advise, will check out the instructors at the shops i have short listed.

I didnt see the links you mentioned? not sure they attached?

Back
Top Bottom