another unexplained DCI hit..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's some more reading from DAN relative to this case.

NOTE: This article describes what DAN Research refers to as "unexpected DCI," an occurrence of decompression illness in spite of the fact that none of the established rules were violated. Similar terms have been used in describing this type of DCI, e.g. "undeserved DCI" and "unpredictable DCI" (see "Mind & Body," July/August 1995). DAN Research has chosen the term "unexpected DCI" because it has neither statistical nor stigmatizing implications.
Unfortunately, many of the DCI cases DAN deals with are unexpected DCI - they're not easy to explain because they occur in individuals who follow all the rules. This is why divers should be familiar with the symptoms of DCS and know exactly what to do if they occur (calling the DAN Hotline is a good first step).

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=17

Exercise Training and Scuba Diving
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.asp?faqid=166

Spoon:
what i do is to effectively slow down my ascent rate and spending longer times as the ata;s decrease. in effect im doing deep stops in addition to my regular saftey stops.

Yup, that works.

paolov:
actually it is not a new theory it is what is called staged decompression

Could that also be RGBM?

Though in this case, this doesn't seem to be the issue. Baffling to say the least. Guest that's why DCI prevention is not an exact science.

Spoon:
what i do is to effectively slow down my ascent rate and spending longer times as the ata;s decrease. in effect im doing deep stops in addition to my regular saftey stops.
Were you ever able to get a download of your dives just before your case of DCS?

Are your regular safety stops still the 1@30', 1@20',1@10' that you were taught in DIR-F?

DiveGolfSki:
Guest that's why DCI prevention is not an exact science.

i don't think the DIR would agree with you on that. THEY(at least some guys who have taken up DIR-F) ARE EXACT ON IT !!!

paolov:
i don't think the DIR would agree with you on that. THEY(at least some guys who have taken up DIR-F) ARE EXACT ON IT !!!

Hmm, they (DIR) may be exact on it but the science isn't absolute (too many variables). Trying to define a mathematical algorithim that fits 100% of the human population is kinda like herding cats ... you'll be able to get some within the fold but a whole lotta them slip out ... :wink:

ok, I think I will throw my 2 cents worth in. As a recompression chamber nurse, I find that may divers that suffer from DCI don't understand why they do. They claim that according to the computer that they never went into a decompression dive and that the did the appropriate surface intervals and hang times.

My theory (and it is only that) is that when computers are programmed, they are so according to the Navy Dive Tables. These tables were initially devised for extremely fit, low body fat, young divers. There are a lot of factors that these tables to not take into consideration. One is an age of a recreational diver, the other is the weight or the diver's metabolism, just to name a few.

A few weeks ago I had a diver who had a similar accident with CNS and brain DCS. He stated that he couldn't understand how he got it as he followed his computer and it never told him that he was in any danger.

This gentlemen, who was a very experienced diver (first time DCS), and a great guy did have some factors that that COULD have attributed to his DCS.

First he was overweight, with a large round abdomen, where most of his body fat was concentrated. Nitrogen LOVES to hide out in body fat, and normally takes a longer time to release. This gentlemen was doing 4-5 dives a day consecutively for about 5-7 days. He was also over the age of 55.

I personally think that even though his computer and dive tables told him he would not encounter DCS, he had a large amount of factors that prevent the nitrogen from actually disapating. It built up in his fat cells, his metabolism, due to his age did not work productively, therefore, I feel it was a slow buildup, giving him the "hit" in 1 dive.

Has any research been done on this? Also, he did not look, nor did he express any other forms of daily or even regular exercise other than diving. Would love to hear more on the subject.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom