another unexplained DCI hit..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

like what doc mike said..... DCI is a statistic ...

but it would help if you TRY to understand how DCI may occur.

microbubbles in your blood,

inhale and it goes into your lungs

lungs(alveoli) exchange air and that in your blood stream

the newly oxygenated blood goes to your heart and is pumped back into your system via arteries.

blood used by organs and tissue takes a return path via veins

veins is motored by the a heart chamber that pumps it back to the lungs for exchange.

lets same you have some dissolved gas in your blood and is pumped into the veins, this is manageable as this would lead to your lungs for expulsion

lets say there was an incomplete exchage at the lungs and some dissolved gas travels back to your heart and is pumped back to your organs and tissue, then ambient pressure suddenly decreases, these dissolved gases in your arteries get out of solution and becomes bubbles they now can get trapped in your joints (bends) or worst in your brain , when it bubbles up in your brain the blood would coagulate and the result is a Stroke !!!!

so minimize your risk. AVOID SCUBA DIVING

just walk on the street and you just have to worry about traffic accidents.

FYI : it takes about 2 mins for your blood to make a complete cycle in your body. hence the 3 mins safety stops to allow your system to have most if not all your blood pass by your lungs before ending your dive. this is goos idea to keep in mind even at depth. 2min STAGES for every 1.5 pressure change.....

[[[[[[[[[[[FYI : it takes about 2 mins for your blood to make a complete cycle in your body. hence the 3 mins safety stops to allow your system to have most if not all your blood pass by your lungs before ending your dive. this is goos idea to keep in mind even at depth. 2min STAGES for every 1.5 pressure change.....]]]]]]]]]paolov

Ahh, that is how that 3 minute stop became the rule. Did not know that. By doing a 4 or 5 minute stop you have allowed blood to do two cycles in your body. Did not understand what you meant here: "2min STAGES for every 1.5 pressure change"???

He means you should stop every 50ft or so and give your blood a chance to totally circulate, to remove bubbles while they're still small instead of just going right up to the basic safety stop where a bubble that would be small at 100ft would be a lot bigger at 15ft.

Halthron:
He means you should stop every 50ft or so and give your blood a chance to totally circulate, to remove bubbles while they're still small instead of just going right up to the basic safety stop where a bubble that would be small at 100ft would be a lot bigger at 15ft.

Thank you.

There is a new theory, maybe not so new, that doing a 1 minute half stop, i.e., if you go to 120 ft stop at 60 ft for 1 minute, then do safety stop for 3 min at 15 ft, is recommended.

pilot fish:
Thank you.

There is a new theory, maybe not so new, that doing a 1 minute half stop, i.e., if you go to 120 ft stop at 60 ft for 1 minute, then do safety stop for 3 min at 15 ft, is recommended.

what i do is to effectively slow down my ascent rate and spending longer times as the ata;s decrease. in effect im doing deep stops in addition to my regular saftey stops.

*Floater*:
this thread from another forum suggests that exercise within 20 hours to 30 min before diving may lower the incidence of DCS by as much as 50% (in the mice and pigs tested using aggressive profiles). weightlifting after diving more than doubled the incidence of DCS... but i dunno how well respected these findings have been...

But I'd bet before does not mean during a Surface Interval as seems to be the case here.

pilot fish:
Thank you.

actually it is not a new theory it is what is called staged decompression

Back
Top Bottom