Another Tank Filling Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed Jewell

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm curious. If a person fills a tank beyond the maximum working pressure stamped on its neck are there any laws being broken?

Thanks

Also, do any of you on the board who own or work for dive shops fill tanks for anyone other than certified divers?

LDS's in my area fill scuba tanks for plumbing companies (I was told they use the compressed air to pressure test pipes). Another company uses scuba tanks to flush radon gas out of cylinders (not sure who this company is). I tell you one thing, these people really know how to abuse these cylinders. Once I told an employee of a plumbing co. that the tank needed a new visual and hydo before it can be filled. He said, "but I don't use it for scuba diving".:eek: Needless to say I refused to fill the tank until it was up to date on visual and hydro.

Ed,
Title 49 CFR 173.302 and 173.301 state: The pressure in the container at 70 deg. F must not exceed the service pressure for which the container is marked or designated. This applies to 3, 3A, 3AA, 3AL, E9791 and possibly others.

In other words, it's a violation of federal code to overfill tanks. Whether or not it's safe is moot; it's against the law.

I have filled tanks for other than certified divers in shops I've worked for. Usually firemen and tradesmen who use tanks to run tools or look for leaks. All those tanks need hydros (by law) and should have visual inspections.

Neil

Thanks Neil for the info.

I know that a PDIC instructor by the name of Fred Calhoun published a book which basically outlines all the federal rules and regulations about the manufacture, trasport, filling and inspection of scuba cylinders. Sounds like something I will purchase.

Thanks again for the info.

ED

Back
Top Bottom