Another Surfer killed in Australia.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TinoD'Voe

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Another attack by a group of great whites. Pretty grim details, my condolences to friends and family:

From the globe and mail, December 16, 2004
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20041216.wshark1216/BNStory/International

Adelaide, Australia — Two great white sharks attacked and killed a surfer while his friends watched in horror Thursday off a popular beach in the southern Australian city of Adelaide, authorities said.

The 18-year-old man had fallen from a surfboard being towed by a power boat when the sharks attacked off West Beach mid afternoon, said Fraser Bell, a spokesman for the South Australia state Sea Rescue Squadron.

One shark tore the victim in half and the second shark took the remains, witnesses said.

Two of the three 16-year-old boys who were in the tow boat witnessed the attack and received medical treatment for shock.

Police and state emergency services said there had been no sign of the victim or the sharks since the mid-afternoon attack despite extensive searches of the coast.

Ms. Bell said the sharks, also known as white pointers, were four to five metres long. They attacked about 250 metres from a crowded beach.

“He fell off the surfboard and the shark appeared and took him,” Ms. Bell told reporters.

“It tore him apart ... apparently it tore him in half and the other shark came in and took the rest.”

A woman on the beach who was not named told Seven Network television the shark that led the attack “caught his left arm and took him around the boat and then another shark has come in and they just took him to pieces.”

The group of four friends, all from Adelaide, had been on the water for just 30 minutes before the attack.

Asked if there were any chance the victim had survived, Ms. Bell replied, “None whatsoever”.

Chief Inspector David Lufty of state police said beaches in the area would remain closed as the search continued for the killer sharks.

The tragedy is the second shark fatality in Australian waters within a week.

A 38-year-old man was killed by a shark while spearing fish on the Great Barrier Reef off northeast Australia on Saturday.

It has been announced today that the shark(s) responsible are to be hunted down. Anyone interested in lodging a protest against this can do so by emailing the Hon. Kevin Foley, MP, acting Premier of South Australia at the following link:

http://www.ministers.sa.gov.au/Minister/Contact_frame.asp?MinisterID=3

PLEASE be thoughtful and constructive in your emails - we want them to be read and taken notice of, not just spam-type personal attacks that will result in all emails on the topic being disregarded.

Weren't some people in other shark fatality thread (about the surfer death from July of this year) saying this group hunting behavior was uncommon? Could these be the same sharks?

Thanks for posting the link!

Please do make constructive contributions.

Great Whites are on the Cites III list and have been nominated for inclusion on the next severity level Cites II (sorry if I explained that badly..they're more endangered :wink:)

CSIRO in Australia is conducting valuable research and the money and resources the government is planning on spending on this would be a nice boost - it's one suggestion that I feel is proactive instead of reactive.

Thanks for you support!

Uncle Pug:
Personally I'm in favor of them killing sharks... especially of the size and species that kill humans.

I agree. I hate seeing animals get killed but if they've been into contact with humans and have attacked, they should be killed to protect others. We do the same with bears...

Ok... it's late and my brain is half not here.. but I sent it... hope it was not out of line ( or that I had too many mispelled words) :)

Dear Sir;

It has been brought to my attention that you intend to instigate a hunt for the sharks that 'may' be responsible for the recent deaths.

While my heart and prayers go to the families of the victims, I do not believe a shark hunt is in anyone's best interest.

First, the Great Whites are an important part of the ecosystem and there is no way to be sure that the sharks hunted are the specific ones responsible for the attacks. Secondly, if these specific sharks are acting in a way contradicting their natural behavior, would it not be more constructive to study them and attempt to ascertain WHY their behavior has been altered? Unless we try to understand what is happening, we will not be able to act constructively to eliminate future incidents. Thirdly, I believe it is a poor example for the people to see the government react in a violet way. So many people already posses a irrational fear of sharks and other citizens of the oceans that this action on your behalf will only intensify the destructive mentality that exists.

Please reconsider your position and the potential long term effects of such a hunt.

1st my heart and prayers goes out to the famalies as well.

2nd here is my 2 cents, forget the studys we have been doing this for years and forget the hunting. we all know the risk when entering the water, weither its diving or surfing the risk is there. there hunters and they found a food source and we all know they will be back and a attack will happen again. so what do we do, well there is a couple of things 1st close the beach, and hope they move on looking for a new food source evan though the risk will always be there or build a fencing possibly a mile out. we build bridges why cant we build some type of barrier, fence, gate. it would prevent sharks from getting in to close and protect the people that want to enjoy a nice day at the beach. benifits both sides us and them. well just my 2 cents

bigwalt:
1st my heart and prayers goes out to the famalies as well.

2nd here is my 2 cents, forget the studys we have been doing this for years and forget the hunting. we all know the risk when entering the water, weither its diving or surfing the risk is there. there hunters and they found a food source and we all know they will be back and a attack will happen again. so what do we do, well there is a couple of things 1st close the beach, and hope they move on looking for a new food source evan though the risk will always be there or build a fencing possibly a mile out. we build bridges why cant we build some type of barrier, fence, gate. it would prevent sharks from getting in to close and protect the people that want to enjoy a nice day at the beach. benifits both sides us and them. well just my 2 cents

I agree with Bigwalt. Hunting down and killing these sharks is a short term solution. More of these things will happen and we cannot keep killing these animals. There aren't that many of them left. But even that is besides the point. We are visiting their territory when we go swim/dive/surf in the ocean, so we should find a way to make that visit work for BOTH the guest and the host.

why cant we build some type of barrier, fence, gate. it would prevent sharks from getting in to close and protect the people

Nice idea. Unfortunately, the fences (essentially nets) in South Africa kill a lot of sharks by drowning. Maybe the people who are afraid should take up knitting. Then they'll be safe without having to decimate another species. The rest of us can accept the minimal risk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom