Another quick trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first dive on my last trip was to Columbia Deep. There were cross currents and it tested some of my skillset which hadn't been exercised in quite a while. On most days, I would classify it as Intermediate. On that day, it was Advanced. It happens.
Cheers -

My first dive on my last trip was to Columbia Deep. There were cross currents and it tested some of my skillset which hadn't been exercised in quite a while. On most days, I would classify it as Intermediate. On that day, it was Advanced. It happens.
Cheers -
Current can turn just about any dive into an advanced dive. Glad you're OK.

@Streydog and @ChuckP It was nice meeting you both on the boat. It's really nice having a good group of divers on the boat.

@Streydog , @ChuckP (and of course @macado) it was great diving with all of you. That turtle was really a problem for us on one dive, and I worry that it's learned it's aggression from being fed Lionfish too often. Somewhere down the line, either it's going to hurt someone, or someone is going to hurt the turtle.

Otherwise the trip was great, and I hope to run into you all sometime down the road.

@macado Hey Mike. Was that a green turtle that was harassing you? You may recall our good friend and dive buddy Gary W. posted on Facebook in February about his encounter with a turtle attacking his stringer. I believe that was at Punta Sur Sur and he was with Jorge. I had never heard of a turtle behaving that way until then!

This is the turtle. I went back Thursday and Friday and it greeted us at the end of Columbia and Punta Sur

This is the turtle. I went back Thursday and Friday and it greeted us at the end of Columbia and Punta Sur

Oh ya!! A green turtle! Likely the same one. As I have said I have not seen this turtle behaviour before! Most of us were surprised that it would go after a fish other than invertebrates such as jellies. I will no longer hunt lion fish in certain dive sites in the parc such as Cedral due to the aggressive nurse sharks and green morays. I have seen some scary encounters with divers with lion fish and one bite on a diver with no fish at all!

Oh ya!! A green turtle! Likely the same one. As I have said I have not seen this turtle behaviour before! Most of us were surprised that it would go after a fish other than invertebrates such as jellies. I will no longer hunt lion fish in certain dive sites in the parc such as Cedral due to the aggressive nurse sharks and green morays. I have seen some scary encounters with divers with lion fish and one bite on a diver with no fish at all!
No one in our group had any lion fish. Not only did it nip at my Gopro a guy in our group had his finger nipped. It just broke the skin.

This is very atypical for turtle behaviour even though I have no doubt that this one has been trained to eat lion fish. I would like to see a marine biologist's opinion about green turtles eating any kind of fish aside from invertebrates!

Back
Top Bottom