Another question on pricing, steel 72's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigred177

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
i am looking at a set of steel 72 doubles. the manifold is not an isolation manifold just one that connects the two. im not sure what type of bands are on it. the tanks have a fresh hydro and vis as of july. he is asking $200 for them and wont go any lower. what do you guys think?
thank you

You do not say but I am assuming that the manifold at least has two outlets so you can dive with redundancy? And that that cylinders are 3/4". If so I would say it sounds like a descent deal. But first find out the mfg of the manifold so that if you decide to replace it with an isolating manifold you can.

You do not say but I am assuming that the manifold at least has two outlets so you can dive with redundancy? And that that cylinders are 3/4". If so I would say it sounds like a descent deal. But first find out the mfg of the manifold so that if you decide to replace it with an isolating manifold you can.

the manifold only has one outlet to be hooked to a single reg. im not sure on the size of the threads. ill try and attach a picture.

here is a picture of the manifold
manifold.jpg

In today's diving, it looks like you're getting a 140+ steel tank......how much is a used 130???...I don't keep up with large steel tanks.....

That is a vintage Sportways manifold. Probably from the 70's. It is a good manifold, but it is not what most people use now a day.

I don't feel a real need for isolation manifolds except in overhead environments, but I service my own gear and I pick what I feel is some of the most reliable gear.

The tanks do have the standard 3/4" NPS threads, so replacing the valves is not a problem.

The price (just for the two tanks) seems a bit on the high side, but depending on your local market it may be fair. I am assuming that you may want to replace the manifold. That manifold itself is not worth much in today's market, but it is perfectly usable.

Doubles do balance better than a single large tank, but are going to be heavier out of the water and the maintenance of two cylinders versus one large could be basically twice as much.

I can't tell from the picture, but if the tanks are not galvanized I would not even think about them.

The orange tank looks to be painted over galvanized metal - no rust on the bare spots on the neck, but I am not sure about the other one.

Some 72's were finished in a rubber dip coat type paint and it is very durable until it hardens and starts to chip off. It varied as to whether they were galvanized underneath. Usually, if the test date stamp is not rusty, the tank is galvanized under whatever coating is there.

Internally, some were vinyl coated and this can be a problem if the coating breaks down. Some inspectors require all of it to be removed and that can be very difficult to do.

I agree with Lois to base the price on the tanks, the manifold adds little value.

The bands may or may not add value depending on whether they are designed for use with a back plate or a cam pack and whether they are stainless or galvanized, and whether or not they are reinforced in the center sections.

Back
Top Bottom