Another new computer thread - choices for LED type screens with AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Neilwood you should try and get your hands on a few of your top picks and play with them. That's what I did.

I went to my shop and sat at a table and played with the VTX and Petrel (no Perdix at the time, but basically the same computer). A buddy had an Icon that gave me an opportunity to play with it. I then read the 3 manuals. Then I made my decision.

In terms of intuitiveness the Icon wins hands down. 4 buttons gives you so much more flexibility from a programming standpoint. I don't have to push a button and then another button to do something. If you want your compass to display, hit the compass button. Done. The Petrel was next and then VTX.

In terms of screen display. I'd say it's a tie between the Petrel/Perdix and Icon. The Icon incorporates more colors for information. The smaller VTX again came in last.

Battery. I don't recall what I found with the VTX, but the Perdix has the advantage of a simple user replaceable battery. The Icon has a rechargeable battery which of course is user replaceable, but you'll void your warranty. By the time that happens though your warranty will likely have expired. Nevertheless, I'd give the advantage to the Perdix. However I've personally done 4 dives in a day and the Icon still was at around 80%. They give you just about every connector and plug imaginable in the world, so as long as there's a source of power, whether AC or DC, you can charge it right up.

Finally, the algorithm. It's pretty clear Shearwater wins in that category for now. The Icon may come in last in this comparison, but for recreational diving it's a tie among the 3. There just won't be that much difference between the 3. You've said you have no interest in technical diving so for the most part it really doesn't matter. But it should be noted that you have the ability to use helium with the Perdix so if you went that way you're already good to go. Mares has announced that with the 5.0 firmware update that it will support helium. How they plan on doing it, nobody knows yet. I've read they could incorporate some form of helium use with the RGBM algorithm (I hope not) or allow for some other 3rd party algorithm to be installed (I hope Buhlmann 16 w/ GF). If you know for a fact that you will not be doing any diving deeper than 130 then helium shouldn't concern you. If there's a chance you may just want to go with the Perdix now or wait and see what Mares does.

Nevertheless, I'd still try to get my hands on your top choices and play with them. It's not exactly a cheap purchase.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
diversteve said it's silly to pay an additional 75% for capabilities in a computer you'll never use (i.e. tech diving). There is some truth to this. A substantially cheaper computer will serve the average recreational diver very well. Having used various puck computers, though, I don't view the tech capabilities of the Perdix as it's only plus. The ease of use over a puck and readability (at least for my 40+ eyes) is also worth the additional cost. To me, the ability to read the computer in dark/night or low vis water without shining a light on it is gold. If you don't dive these conditions and/or have better eyes than me, then it may not be worth it.

@Neilwood

To be fair, if you ignore price, all the computers will serve you well.

When I looked, the Lynx was high on my list, but I was put off by their special batteries which would be hard to obtain everywhere, and feed back from Lynx users over the battery case.

As you know, I'm an Eon user, I must say the current price with the TX makes me very envious. One reason the Eon hasn't been successful in the US is the significant price difference between it and the Shearwater. In Europe my understanding is that the Eon is more successful

So for the Eon, it's a robust computer, well made. It's easy to operate with big buttons, you can flip the display so you can have the buttons to the left or the right (the case is symmetrical)

It comes with a charging cable and any USB charger, (or battery power pack) will charge it

It is quoted as a 40hr battery life, but this is dependant on screen brightness. I have mine set to max, but still get 32hrs per charge.

In reality I never let it get that low, on a LOB I'll charge mine every 3 days.

You can have either graphical or classic (numbers only) for data as to your presences. I like being able to glance and see from the clock position of the graphic rather than needing to read the actual number nice. But that's personal. The screen is very readable in bright sunlight and in low light conditions too

For me having a good support network is important. With Suunto you have dealers world wide. I like the security of this. With Suunto the Transmitter battery are dealer replacement, but they are rated at 2 years or 200 dives (it might be 300 can't remember). The TX and the Eon both carry a 2 year warranty

Both of our Eon's are almost 2 years old, both have over 200 dives, neither have shown any degradation of the battery. I don't mind rechargeable, others have different preferences.

My Suunto algorithm has never limited me, or given me significantly more deco or less NDL than say friends on OSTC, I don't dive Helium though, and only occasionally dives with rich nitrox for accelerated deco.

Because I warm water dive, all my dives are an hour, generally to the 30m mark, no issues on repetitive diving - my max string of repetitive dives is 39 back to back.

I think the Perdex AI is a strong contender, there may some issues with their AI they need to iron out, but this is only software updates.

Unless you desperately want GF then I personally don't see the need to spend an extra £130, I don't think the SW offers that much more for a UK based diver.

Thinking here having the SW to send to Canada if you need repair vs your local store for the Eon

Of course you have to weigh up what is and what isn't important to you, what your willing to compromise on and what you won't then see where you end up and then look at costs.

I was on the verge of buying a new computer to replace my Cressi Giotto (nowt wrong with it but would like to have a bright LED screen to look at instead of dull LCD).

Must haves:
LED or similar screen (the more visible the better for UK diving imho)
AI
Compass integrated

Likely usage - relative newbie with 40 dives to my name. No plans to start diving doubles, definitely no tec diving that I can foresee and not exactly fit so a "conservative" computer is not entirely a bad thing.

Was considering Suunto Eon Steel or Mares HD Icon before Shearwater brought out the Perdix AI.

Price wise there is a big difference though:
Suunto Eon Steel - approx £675 incl pod (until late December)
Mares Icon - approx £540 incl pod
Shearwater Perdix AI - approx £900 (guesses atm as not up on UK suppliers sites yet)

Any other options?

Would the Suunto be £130 better than the Mares and would the Perdix be £225 better than that?

What do the your buddies dive? If the algorithm starts to count, e.g. actually getting close to no stop times or doing stops, then it is helpful if your computers are doing the same thing.

All these computers are really very expensive. You could go to the Red Sea or Scapa for a week for the price of the perdix.

From what I gather from DEMA news, neither the ScubaPro H3 or Liquivision Omnix can be added to the list yet, maybe next year

You should also have a serious look at the Ratio IX3M, either the Deep or Tech model. Ratio announced AI for those at DEMA. Their screens are the same tech as Perdix, but bigger. The button design is better than a Perdix (more of them and front mounted).

I have also been told that you can buy the Deep model and purchase a key unlock upgrade later to convert it to the Tech model.

You should also have a serious look at the Ratio IX3M, either the Deep or Tech model. Ratio announced AI for those at DEMA. Their screens are the same tech as Perdix, but bigger. The button design is better than a Perdix (more of them and front mounted).

I have also been told that you can buy the Deep model and purchase a key unlock upgrade later to convert it to the Tech model.

Neither brands are "known", nor have support in the UK, where the OP is lives. Given the debacle with the Seabear H3, which was going to be THE thing a couple of years ago, I'd wait until the Deep model has been out for a while rather than being an early adopter

@KenGordon raises a valid point about the cost and need, not that I'd try to talk someone out of spending money on something they want (I'm the worst for shiny things).

My "need" is for something that can be easily read in typical UK waters ie normally fairly low visibility and often quite dark. Hence I am looking at LED screens. Price is less of an issue ( i have some laid aside for it) than getting something that is effective, easy to use and easy to view. Not keen on the current situation of having to hold a button (while I might be needing to do other things such as smb etc) or shine a torch on it.

My dive buddies generally are using Cressi or similar so would be NDL limited by their computers even with the most liberal computer.

I will not rule out the Ratio but would need to see the price.

Surprised that a computer thread on SB has gone by without someone saying I will die if I just use AI.

Surprised that a computer thread on SB has gone by without someone saying I will die if I just use AI.

That went out the window as soon as SW came out with the Perdix AI.

Check out OSTC if you get a chance. They are German company and I know few posters here cannot say enough good things about them.

After owning a DC that needs to go to a shop for battery replace, I am done with DC that needs special battery. Definitely give SW and OSTC a look.

Back
Top Bottom