Another Lion fish dinner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

" The divemaster did not spear it. I asked after the dive why and he said they didn't carry spears. "

Very interesting change in policy. Last time I was in Coz was July 2012 and the Aqua Safari guides were very aggressively spearing lionfish. Since then, Aqua Safari was sold to a new owner.......

For a DM to carry a spear it adds to his ‘task loading’ and the DM may or may not have the available skill set VS. task loading to deal with it. Example dive master A has 8 divers including 4 who are doing their first saltwater dive, in a current, that is a heavy load, a spear would not be a good idea. Dive master B has 8 intermediate to advanced divers and spears the occasional lionfish, no problem (and the more dead lionfish the better) that is a manageable load. Now in a large commercial Diving operation I can understand a management decision to bow out and to try and even out the experience for all, if nothing else for safety in a large operation.

I have always had mixed feelings about the DMs devoting a lot of time to killing lion fish. On one hand, I like that they are killing these things off. We have been to places where the don't (e.g., Curacao a few years ago) and there are 4 or 5 lion fish on every coral head. But on the other hand, I am paying this guide to guide, i.e., find neat stuff for me to look at. I can take care of myself, but I can't find a seahorse if my life depended on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom