Another light choices question: Intova 4.7W vs Dorcy II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks guys. I just order Intova "4.7W wide angle" version from Cave Advanture. I got the Oxycheq light sock with it as well. Hope I will like it.

Not sure if you guys are still interested in this. I just received the Intova 4.7W wide beam light. The package has the light, 2x CR123 batteries and a pouch. Not bad for a $50 light in US.

Overall, my feeling is mixed. The contruction of the light is good, but certainly not up to the craftmanship of Surefire. The finish is Type II anodized, not Type III (hard/cold) anodized. The switch seems to be plastic, not sure why people call it magnetic switch. The light uses optic to form the beam as opposite to reflector. Bean quality wise, it get a wide, evenly distributed round beam with LITTLE to NO side spill. Compared to UK SL4 LED, UK is defnintely bright at the center hot spot. The side spill of the UK is NOT as bright as Intova, but about the same size as the overall Intova beam. Overall, the beam isn't too impressive for being "130 lumen".

this light goes into oxycheq ligh sock ok, a little tighter would be nice, but nonethless, the light sock should hold it securely. The length of the light may be more of an issue in the light sock. If you wear the light sock on your left hand, the Intova may interfere with your dive computer on your left wrist. I am thinking putting the dive computer on the inside of my wrist should solve the problem.

Overall, no regret getting the light. But I expected more!

The onething I like about the Intova is its size and weight, both below those of UK SL4.

The switch seems to be plastic, not sure why people call it magnetic switch.
<snip>
I am thinking putting the dive computer on the inside of my wrist should solve the problem.

The plastic switch you see contains a magnet that activates a reed switch inside the battery barrel.

How about wearing your computer on your right wrist - that way you can keep an eye on the computer while venting your BC with your left hand. Just a thought.

Henrik

Not sure if you guys are still interested in this. I just received the Intova 4.7W wide beam light. The package has the light, 2x CR123 batteries and a pouch. Not bad for a $50 light in US.

Overall, my feeling is mixed. The contruction of the light is good, but certainly not up to the craftmanship of Surefire. The finish is Type II anodized, not Type III (hard/cold) anodized. The switch seems to be plastic, not sure why people call it magnetic switch. The light uses optic to form the beam as opposite to reflector. Bean quality wise, it get a wide, evenly distributed round beam with LITTLE to NO side spill. Compared to UK SL4 LED, UK is defnintely bright at the center hot spot. The side spill of the UK is NOT as bright as Intova, but about the same size as the overall Intova beam. Overall, the beam isn't too impressive for being "130 lumen".

this light goes into oxycheq ligh sock ok, a little tighter would be nice, but nonethless, the light sock should hold it securely. The length of the light may be more of an issue in the light sock. If you wear the light sock on your left hand, the Intova may interfere with your dive computer on your left wrist. I am thinking putting the dive computer on the inside of my wrist should solve the problem.

Overall, no regret getting the light. But I expected more!

The onething I like about the Intova is its size and weight, both below those of UK SL4.

When you use an aspheric lens you get no spill as all of the light is focused through the lens (as opposed to spill with a reflector which is that part of the light that doesn't strike the reflector).

If you were expecting it to appear brighter you shouldn't have gone for the wide angle lens. The narrow angle model would have taken that same 130 lumens and focused it into a smaller area and therefore it would be brighter (130 lumens is far from cutting edge in the first place).

When you use an aspheric lens you get no spill as all of the light is focused through the lens (as opposed to spill with a reflector which is that part of the light that doesn't strike the reflector).

If you were expecting it to appear brighter you shouldn't have gone for the wide angle lens. The narrow angle model would have taken that same 130 lumens and focused it into a smaller area and therefore it would be brighter (130 lumens is far from cutting edge in the first place).

I concur about the aspheric lens causing no spill. I have a Packhorse light with that, and personally I don't like the effect. It's nice to have some spill light when night diving so I can see things around me.

Adam

I have both the 4.7 intova and dorcy dive II. i uploaded a beamshot of the dorcy dive II, but someone (presumably a mod) took it down :S. i will take a beamshot of both a.s.a.p. and upload it here .... hopefully not to be taken down!

from my first impressions with the dorcy: no 'doughnut' or dark spot, as others have said (maybe its a defect, maybe they're secret intova-agents); light DOES appear a warmer color from the dorcy; dorcy is much brighter; and of course, intova has a magnetic switch while dorcy has a twist.

Back
Top Bottom