Another Hose Length & Routing Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vinsanity

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm changing my reg setup from an Air Source to a longish hose reg and backup reg under my chin.

I'm down to either a 40-48" wrapped under the arm and up or a 5' across the chest and behind the neck.

Noteworthy priorities: I'm 6'3" and slim, doing half my diving at home in a dry suit and half while traveling to warmer waters. Don't want too much of a mess of hose to deal with while setting up and moving gear. I'd like my reg set to still fit in a regulator bag I can put in my backpack for the flight. Some day I'd like to get in to overhead diving, but unlikely to be during the lifetime of these hoses. So I ruled out 7'.

Obviously looking for recommendations between these two. Beyond that, for the 40-48" how does one pick in that range? Should I get 48 because I'm tall? I've never tried to spool up 5' of rubber hose. Do I need to be concerned about it fitting in a bag? My understanding is there is no need for an elbow on a 5' or 7' hose, but there is on a 40-48". Will an elbow do or is a fancy ominswivel needed? I really don't like feeling like to have fight the hose when moving my head. TIA

I suspect the 5ft will be too short for you, especially in a drysuit. The 5ft was perfect length for me in a drysuit. I'm 5'5". Wrapped around my torso and I didn't need to tuck any extra into my belt.

I think a 6ft hose would probably be better for you than a 5ft, if you could find one.

No need for concern about it fitting in a bag.

Simplest would be 48" on an angled connector.
It won't dangle, or if it wants to because your height doesn't contribute as much as you thought, you can add a pull away clip to a low D-ring.

As for your angled connector, buy one each of 90° and 120°. Depending upon final routing, choose the one that clears your exhaust tee no matter how you rotate the reg. If they both clear, then choose the one that hangs straightest and doesn't twist your reg based upon how your hose ends up running. A swivel is not necessary.

I think 60" for a tall guy will be less comfortable.

For best streamlining, the necklace hose length is almost as important. Many don't like Miflex because of how it chafes and catches neck hairs. But a short rubber is stiff enough to pull when you look left. A longer rubber sticks out in the breeze. There's usually one perfect combination of length and flexibility. I've run all the way between 18" Miflex and 24" rubber in 2" steps for my necklace before I was happy.

Ah! Marie beat me to it. Well, you'll get as many opinions as people you ask, lol! If you go long, you won't need that angled connector.

I concur with Rob...I found a 48" with 90 for my G260 perfect length and 22" DGX braided hose for necklace

HA! This is why I come to Scubaboard. Immediately get many opinions all of which summarize too, "we have different preferences, but we agree that the route you were leaning towards isn't as appealing as you thought, so don't do that."

Thanks Marie, Rob, and GQ!

Another opinion!!!! LOL.
Keep it simple ie no elbow.
As long as you are comfortable because you are using it yourself.

I am interested in why you ruled out the 7ft?

I dive a 7ft in every dive. It's way more tight on the body then a 5ft.
I don't feel the hose during the dive. And I really disliked my octo for that reason.

i've dived the 5ft hose and the 7ft. i prefer the 7ft. the 5ft interferes with the bungied 2nd stage.the way it passes from right armpit to left shoulder. the angle is too sharp. compared to the 7ft that goes down to the right waist. Use a long hose stick fi you don't have a canister light

I'm 6'2" and use a 5 ft in a wetsuit. This cuts across the center of my chest too close to my drysuit inflator for my liking, so I use a 7 ft in that configuration. (Either length fits easily in my regulator bag.) I like the fact the back of my neck supports most the weight of the hose rather than my jaw. It's not much, of course, but it is more than zero.

(Someday I'll probably try a 5.5 ft, but I suspect a 6 ft would be too long for me if untucked, but too short to tuck.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom