Another great weekend of diving in Carmel!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

micboucher

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was on the Sanctuary both Sat and Sun this weekend and had great dives both days. We saw 3 pairs of Humpbacks just outside of Lobos on Sat and watched a great show of fin slapping from one of the pairs. Here's one of the videos. YouTube - MVI 5637

After watching the whales for a while, we were greeted by a pod of Risso Dolphins, then we had some Pacific White Sided Dolphins riding the bow when we turned to go to the dive site. What a great show, thanks for arranging all that for us Mike! :wink:

I did one dive at Flintstones Sat and had about 30-40ft of vis. I didn't see any Sea Nettles, but lots of small comb jellies and other translucent ones, and a couple rough looking Egg Yoke jellies.

Sun we did Butterfly House on the first dive with about 20-25ft of vis and Stillwater on the 2nd dive with about the same for vis. There were a few really nice Egg Yoke jellies on those dives, along with lots of tiny translucent jellies.

And here are some of my pics from the weekend.
Carmel 6/25 and 6/26/09 - a set on Flickr

WOW! That was a great video Michelle! I wish I had jumped in that open spot Saturday morning! I can't believe Mike did not put any divers in the water! I think the Humpback was signaling him to do so... How much is the fine again?

How do divers feel about dropping anchor and getting into the water with these whales? I think I would be reluctant but would like to know everyones opinion... Michelle, you captured some really beautiful pics of the jellies... :)

WOW! That was a great video Michelle! I wish I had jumped in that open spot Saturday morning! I can't believe Mike did not put any divers in the water! I think the Humpback was signaling him to do so... How much is the fine again?

Thanks Paula! Yeah, you missed a great day. I wish we could have jumped in but I'm sure the fines are pretty hefty for harassing protected marine life. :no:

How do divers feel about dropping anchor and getting into the water with these whales? I think I would be reluctant but would like to know everyones opinion... Michelle, you captured some really beautiful pics of the jellies... :)

I would love to dive with whales! Thanks!

I would love to dive with the whales! It would be a short dive though as I would probably suck down my entire tank of gas in my first breath.

I was on the Sanctuary both Sat and Sun this weekend and had great dives both days.

Michelle, sounds like you had a great set of dives! Awesome pictures, too!

How do divers feel about dropping anchor and getting into the water with these whales?

I heard whales and dolphins don't stick around very long with divers in the water (add to that high speed and low viz). Too bad, too, cause it would be quite an experience.

Great photos and video. I really enjoy the humpys show. No matter how many times I see them from my boat it's always a thrill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom