Another good day at Twin Lakes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm trying not to post reports of every single time we dive at Twin Lakes but this weeks Wednesday meet was a good one!

The owner, Mike, had 2 waverunners that he had gutted and cleaned and we got to talking about where to put them, which one where, etc. Before we knew it, Tony and I were scouting out a spot for one of them. This was our first attempt at doing something like this and looking back it was a circus! Mike had weighted it down and he thought it would be enough to lay on the bottom in a grassy patch on the old road....NOT! The weight shifted and the only thing sinking was the nose with about 2ft. of the back above water. Change of plans. Why don't we suspend it?

Maddiver had joined us in this venture and it was decided to suspend it on the opposite side of the lake over the old tilted platform. So we towed it across the pond, me navigating with Tony and Lance towing. I went too fast and they were slow so that wasn't working. We eventually got the thing close to where we wanted it. Tony and Lance had the knowledge of how to ratchet the thing down and they worked their wetsuits off doing it. Right now it's suspended, nose down, in about 15ft of water. We hope later to raise the nose so that it's positioned to where you can sit on it. Well...I guess you had to be there!

I had planned to dive with Deb (pduncang) so we could practice our photography stalking skills but the waverunner thing kept me busy. Next time, Deb! It was close to 9pm when everyone started packing up to go home...all except for Emma! She's one of our students, certified 5/12, and so hooked it's fun to watch. She had been asking about night dives for a couple of weeks and taking our promises of "We'll do one soon." in stride. Well...it was already almost dark so as the others tail lights vanished up the road, Emma and Beast were gearing up. I decided to do land duty and provide the skeeters with their nightly feast. After placing a strobe to the stairs, they were gone, their ghostly lights making their way along the lakes edge. Their plan was simple, 20 min. out and 20 min. back. Sure enough as I was watching the glow from their lights along the old road bed, at 19 min. they turned and restraced their route.

By the time Beast and Emma returned, I was lumpy with mosquito bites but my logbook was caught up. I had been watching the fireflies that I haven't seen in years and listening to the cacophany of frog songs. Emma emerged with a huge grin on her face and lots of questions. This was her lucky 13th dive.

I love enthusiastic new divers.

We had the largest group so far....
ScubaTexasTony
Maddiver
Beast and Dee
SueJ (Dayglo) and Scott
Linda (new)
Pduncang and husband (sorry, forgot his name)
Emma
T.P.H.

Sorry if I forgot anyone. See ya'll Sunday or next Wednesday!

Ooooh, a night dive and we missed it. Too bad we had to get home to son and nephew. Night diving is all my husband, Gary talks about. I am assuming you used lights, yes? We only have one of those small lights that fits in the palm of your hand, is that sufficient?

-Debra Duncan

Originally posted by pduncang
Ooooh, a night dive and we missed it. Too bad we had to get home to son and nephew. Night diving is all my husband, Gary talks about. I am assuming you used lights, yes? We only have one of those small lights that fits in the palm of your hand, is that sufficient?

-Debra Duncan

Lights? of course! Small lights are fine, just make sure you both have one.

Don't count on night dives every Wednesday....4am comes a bit too early on weekdays.

I know I had a great time out there Wednesday seeing everyone..Just being around fellow swampsters and divers for me is big plus for an otherwize hum-drum day.
Scubatexastony and myself followed the entourage of divers that left out insearch and retrieval of the red hog. (Dee`s lift bag)
Tony and I were lagging behind and well once we hit the road bed we signaled a left turn and headed across the lake.
On this trip,Tony and I saw the largest crappie ever since we`ve been diving there.
It was a great dive, but i envied the ones who were able to do the night dive since someone we all know got me hooked on it. I won`t mention his name...STTNY
If a planned night dive on a Fri. / Sat. night were to come about, you`d know where to find me!
:D

Sorry I missed such a good time. Wish I could of been there for
the waverunner experience. I agree with T.P.H that the diving
is great but just being around the Texas Swamp divers
tops off a good dive. I look forward to getting moved this weekend so I can meet up with the group. There's nothing better
then finishing a day up by meeting the group at Twin Lakes.
Have a great time this weekend, I'll be wishing I was there.;-0

Back
Top Bottom