Another first timer to Fantasy Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone who mildly objects to any form of "check-out dive" should be observed with eager anticipation... I suggest turning on your video camera immediately.
lol4.gif

After leaving my house in the middle of the night for the airport, the early plane, the connection in IAH, etc - I need a nap before dinner anyway. Double checking all my gear takes time, and more. I have never done an arrival day dive anywhere.

there is no need whatsoever to exchange US dollars for lemps.

Absolutely agree with this post. Exchange isn't necessary. Its also good to have smaller bills ($1s and $5s) for tipping. Remember, these folks don't earn big wages and its polite to tip the maids, dining staff, bartenders, dive staff and anyone else who gives you decent service or goes out of their way for you. There's no better "thank you" than a much appreciated tip, esp. in Roatan.

Absolutely agree with this post. Exchange isn't necessary. Its also good to have smaller bills ($1s and $5s) for tipping. Remember, these folks don't earn big wages and its polite to tip the maids, dining staff, bartenders, dive staff and anyone else who gives you decent service or goes out of their way for you. There's no better "thank you" than a much appreciated tip, esp. in Roatan.
Being a polite & gracious guest in another country is always nice along with tipping appropriately to generously.

BCress's suggestion about using local currency might have more benefit elsewhere on the island, :idk: and would probly be good on the mainland, but for FIBR where everything is included in the package price - I don't see much reason to carry much money, and certainly not to convert currency. I'll convert some on Cozumel for example if I am going into town for dinners, more so if I go to the peninsula mainland, but for around the resort - nah. Even off site excursions from FI are booked in USD aren't they, so again - just tip bucks.

In my past two trips, I was alone and tipped the room maid a buck/day, servers a buck/meal usually, but I think the dollar coins I took once might have been a problem. I kinda like to put 50c pieces back into circulation on US travels but on international trips I think that the more recognized dollars and quarters probly are more beneficial. No Torn Bills! is usually a good plan too.

I think BCress was giving us the benefit of his experience on the mainland. His experiences (i.e. jacking up the price of something when a US$ is around) are certainly consistent with my experiences in other 3rd world countries.

I think BCress was giving us the benefit of his experience on the mainland. His experiences (i.e. jacking up the price of something when a US$ is around) are certainly consistent with my experiences in other 3rd world countries.
Add Canada and Europe. :wink:

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I've only experienced Honduras on the mainland (and even when there i'm usually up in the mountains teaching CPR, so dollars arent that common there, and its much less ("Americanized" if you will). RTBDiver, Snappahead, and anyone else who has actually been to roatan has more experience than me in the matter.

No worries, Brian. We all benefit from sharing our experiences.....Roatan or mainland Honduras or whatever......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom