Another first-timer report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefd8vr

Registered
Reaction score
I have sadly returned to rainy Ohio from my all-too-short dive trip to Coz, 5/24 -- 5/27. But I am plotting my return. Here is what I thought...

Diving:
Went out with Deep Blue. Was very satisfied. Great crew. Best dives of the trip. Monday, Tank 1: Palancar Gardens -- great vis, gorgeous corals, 90ft. Tank 2: Yucab, 50ft -- more great vis and my first shark! A 10-12ft. nurse. It came at our right, swung around about 20 ft in front of us and began to munch on something, shaking its head and all. I swam right toward it and got a nice closeup at about 15ft with the digicam!

Tues, Deep Blue again. Tank1: Chankanaab. Vis was great, lots of cool fish. Tank2: Paradise, 36ft. Some great pics today, will post them soon.

Wed, this time with Bluextsea. Great operation. Great crew. DM Raul always looking back to check on his divers -- a great lead diver. Tank1: Santa Rosa Wall, 94ft...but could have been MUCH deeper...LOL. Good vis to see the awesome scale of everything down there. Found us a beach-side cafe for lunch, which was nice. Tank2; Paso de Cedral, 67ft. Not too many fish out today, sadly.

So Wed afternoon, I figured "one more dive, why not?". So I grabbed a spot on a cattle car with Dive Paradise. The fun began when I noticed a strange hissing sound coming from my new first stage ( my own gear).It was leaking air, but very, very little said the DM. So down we go! I know, I know, it's ultimately my fault for going down with it. But what I did later ya'll will yell at me for. Our group, about 10 of us went down to the C-53 wreck. No sooner did the group finally get down, did TWO diver's tanks pop out of their BC! So there we are, people scrambling to get them reattached in the heavy current. Through the wreck we go and it was interesting to be doing it for the first time, but not much worth seeing really. The DM never asked for an air check the entire time, though I was VERY aware. I made my way to the front of the group right about the time we got back to the stern. I signaled the DM that I was going up and I ascended the guide line to my 15ft spot in pretty heavy current. About 1:30 through, I feel a commotion beneath me on the line. Divers start letting go of the line, drifting away from it as one guy is pulling his way to the surface. Of course, I bobbed to the top like a cork, blowing half of my safety stop. It turns out the guy was out of air! My tank wasn't much better -- 200psi left. The DM never seemed to concerned about any of the situations -- lost tanks, no air, etc.

Some lessons learned on this trip:
1. Don't EVER dive in anything more than a six-pack boat.
2. Don't ever dive a wreck without gloves.
3. Don't ever begin a dive with faulty equipment.
4. Stay close to someone even if no buddy has been assigned.
5. Know your gear. Practice with it in a pool if it's new -- before jumping in the ocean.
6. Don't carry all your gear in a soft duffle as carry-on luggage. The shoulder strap might break :( Get yourself a hard-case and check it.
7. Fly in to Coz... downtown is only 5 minutes away.

Accomodations:
Stayed at Vista del Mar. It was the best sub-$60/night room I've ever been in. Clean, spacious, mini fridge, great balcony view of the ocean and COLD A/C. It's in walking distance to many of the good restaurants and even a few piers. I highly recommend and will be staying there again.

Dining:
I'm one of those people who stick with a good thing when they find it, so I enjoyed Casa Denis twice. The fact that I can't remember the names of the other places I ate tells you something about Casa Denis. The Mexican platter was incredible. And the salsa will scorch you unless you tell them otherwise!

Nightlife:
What happens in Cozumel, stays in...LOL. But I can suggest a fine glass of cuban rum with a cuban cigar at the Havana Club.

Except for the last dive, it was an awesome trip. Thanks to everyone who made it so. I loved Cozumel and plan many returns.

We must have just missed you, we were at the Casa Mexicana May 27-June 1st. Great trip report. What a scary experience you had with Dive Paradise! :eek_2:

We also dove with Deep Blue, their staff was very professional and safety conscious. Did you happen to dive with OriginalJonathan from this board? We happened to have dinner our last night at Especias and had the pleasure of meeting him and Christi from BlueXT.

Thanks for posting!

Sorry I didn't get to personally meet you, as Raul probably told you I was very sick last week.

Sorry to hear about your last dive. A few things I see wrong with this dive in additioan to the issues you pointed out.

There should have been no more than 4 divers per divemaster on the wreck dive per marine park regulations. Furthermore, there should never be more that 8 divers per divemaster for any site per marine park regulations.

Are you sure you were down for an hour and a half? That is highly unusual for the wreck, particularly with a large group, on an afternoon dive, and with Dive Paradise. Their bottom times are set ahead of time and I have never known them to exceed 40 minutes except on one of the EDG boats.

At any rate, I am glad that you enjoyed Cozumel and I hope to meet you sooner than later.

Great mojitos and a fine selection of Habanos!
(Dont buy cubans anywhere else..lots of fakes) :11:

We had 2 DMs, though I don't think the second one got in the water -- maybe, but I never saw him. The fact that no one ever asked me for an air check says something.

The 1:30 I referred to was a minute and a half into my safety stop...LOL... I wish I could use air like that at 80 ft... or 60... or 40 :wink:

Hope you're feeling better! BTW, how in the world does someone get a cold in Cozumel!?

Glad you had a good time in Coz! I remember the first shark I saw . . .I think it was a 15 footer. . . and it grows every time I tell the story!

Tim Ingersoll:
Glad you had a good time in Coz! I remember the first shark I saw . . .I think it was a 15 footer. . . and it grows every time I tell the story!

Y'know, I thought "Wow, thassa big nurse shark!" myself, but what the hey, I wasn't there...

Are you well enough to dive, Tim? IIRC, you have some Coz dates coming up.

Cheers,

reefd8vr:
We had 2 DMs, though I don't think the second one got in the water -- maybe, but I never saw him. The fact that no one ever asked me for an air check says something.

The 1:30 I referred to was a minute and a half into my safety stop...LOL... I wish I could use air like that at 80 ft... or 60... or 40 :wink:

Hope you're feeling better! BTW, how in the world does someone get a cold in Cozumel!?

OK...that makes alot more sense...haha! Reading it again, I realize I had another blonde moment...haha!

I agree, although you are a certified diver and responsible for monitoring your air supply, it is also up to the DM to know how much air his divers have in order to manage the dive and keep control of the group.

Getting colds in Coz is pretty common believe it or not. My whole crew has been taking turns with this cold...but I think we've all had our turns and we are all good as new again :) well, I'm getting there. Colds are very hard to get rid of and last a week or so with this climate.

I never did get to dive with Jonathan while he was here because I was sick..which is a real bummer.

I look forward to meeting you next time!

I appreciate it. My buddy and I will be in Cozumel July 15-22.

I dove with Deep Blue all week last year (June 2003) and I was very pleased with them, but I have no other Cozumel experience to compare with. A lot of people stick with just one dive op if they like it. It is good to hear from someone that used more than one.

In Monterey I dive on a cattle boat because those are the main choices (although there are some smaller alternatives) but I would much rather stick with the 6-pak or 8-pak boats in Cozumel.

Your recommendations all seem good, although I fly into Cancun because it usually is a lot cheaper than flying to CZM from my area. I agree with the rest, and I subscribe to them all.

The first time I dove the C-53 I thought that it was great. Even though there wasn't a lot of growth yet, I loved it. I could not believe how much time we spent physically inside the wreck. The fish in and around it were also very good.

Question: is the big "bait ball" still hanging around the wreck?

Next time you are on the island consider trying Guido's. We ate there twice and it was very good. I have heard a ton of recommendations about Casa Denis, so we will have to try that this visit.

Thanks again,

Wristshot

Wristshot, we dove the wreck on May 27th and the baitball was still there. We dove it in October too and it was there at that time too. I guess they like it in the ship. Glad you all had fun, we did to. Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom