Another "female peeing" issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know people will refuse to believe - but I've never peed in my wetsuit. Never wanted to - esp. now that I have a nice new wetsuit :) I definitely don't want to pee in my drysuit. I just avoid drinking any soda, tea, etc. I drink water - but my body is dehydrated, so it keeps it rather than getting rid of it.

If you wanna pee, and have wetsuit issues - why not just have your wetsuit modified? Get a velcro flap installed "down there" and when you want to go - open the flap and let it fly! Might help.

Good luck!
nd

HA HA HA HA HA!!!
A Wetsuit Pee Valve... er Pee flap!!! Get one on the other side too!

The whole flap about urine amuses me. As a friend observed the other day, of all the fluids that come out of the human body, urine is really the least offensive. It is sterile on exit, and in humans, generally doesn't even smell that bad to begin with (especially if you are well hydrated and the urine is dilute). The odor becomes unpleasant when environmental bacteria begin to work on the urea and break it down to ammonia. This isn't going to happen in your wetsuit, unless you pee in it right before you exit the water, and then don't rinse it at all.

If you pee earlier in the dive, the water circulation (and yes, there is water circulation in a semi-dry suit!) will progressively dilute the urine, and after a few minutes, you are pretty much diving in sea water again. It is still a good idea to rinse the suit.

Withholding fluids to avoid having to urinate during a dive is a bad strategy. If you are trying to avoid urine production, it is better to eat something salty before diving, and hydrate normally. Better yet is to drink generously and accept that you will need to empty your bladder during the dive. Which is why I bought a She-P for my dry suit :)

The whole flap about urine amuses me. As a friend observed the other day, of all the fluids that come out of the human body, urine is really the least offensive. It is sterile on exit, and in humans, generally doesn't even smell that bad to begin with (especially if you are well hydrated and the urine is dilute). The odor becomes unpleasant when environmental bacteria begin to work on the urea and break it down to ammonia. This isn't going to happen in your wetsuit, unless you pee in it right before you exit the water, and then don't rinse it at all.

If you pee earlier in the dive, the water circulation (and yes, there is water circulation in a semi-dry suit!) will progressively dilute the urine, and after a few minutes, you are pretty much diving in sea water again. It is still a good idea to rinse the suit.

Withholding fluids to avoid having to urinate during a dive is a bad strategy. If you are trying to avoid urine production, it is better to eat something salty before diving, and hydrate normally. Better yet is to drink generously and accept that you will need to empty your bladder during the dive. Which is why I bought a She-P for my dry suit :)

The rear flap will take care of the other problem that there aren't too many solutions for!

It is all in the head. Once you master the art of peeing in your wetsuit you will have found utopia! It will get easier and easier as your subconscious memory locks in the wonderful feeling of warm water filling your suit and warming your body—gently fading into an aftermath of rash and itch.....Then there is the intoxicating aroma of "salty water" filling the air for all to enjoy as you remove your wet suit and let it dry on the deck of the boat—no one will even know! Yeah, I use a dry suit and I don't have that problem. Something about filling the suit with air stops the "wetsuit bladder squeeze" and I don't nearly have to go as often. I can even drink coffee before a dive. Good luck to you and your wet suit!

:coffee:This one is active again kewl!:blinking:

I have noticed that after I pee during a dive I tend to get cold easier.... been trying to figure it out. I am wondering if it is from the warm feeling that goes away as the natural rinse occurs or if I have "let go" of some of my warmth. Honestly it baffles me:confused:... I have noticed this particularly in night dives and even in my sharkskin (polar fleece Lycra). The longer I hold it.. the longer it seems to take me to feel the cold. The more often I "go" the quicker I get cold. I don't hold on to the point of discomfort:mooner:... I think that is asking for trouble. as my mother used to say "When mother calls you should answer... when nature calls you better answer":rofl3:

:coffee:This one is active again kewl!:blinking:

I have noticed that after I pee during a dive I tend to get cold easier.... been trying to figure it out. I am wondering if it is from the warm feeling that goes away as the natural rinse occurs or if I have "let go" of some of my warmth. Honestly it baffles me:confused:... I have noticed this particularly in night dives and even in my sharkskin (polar fleece Lycra). The longer I hold it.. the longer it seems to take me to feel the cold. The more often I "go" the quicker I get cold. I don't hold on to the point of discomfort:mooner:... I think that is asking for trouble. as my mother used to say "When mother calls you should answer... when nature calls you better answer":rofl3:

I heard that it is because it tricks the body into thinking it is warm again. When your body is cold, it focuses on keeping your core (torso where all your important organs are :)) warm at the expense of your extremities (arms, legs, fingers toes). When you pee, it warms your body up so it thinks it is warm and starts to warm up the extremities again, diverting blood away from the core. Because you are only provided with warmth briefly from your pee, overall you get colder as your core isn't kept as warm. In order to warm up after a dive you need to be exposed to warmth for a fair bit to truly warm up. That is a terrible explanation I know, but I dunno how to explain it better! :) It is what I was taught so hope it is an accurate description...

I just avoid drinking any soda, tea, etc. I drink water - but my body is dehydrated, so it keeps it rather than getting rid of it.

Dear Nude,

This may not be the first time I have offered a constructive observation in all my time here, but it's a rare thing indeed.

That said, dehydration + diving is a quick way to increase your chances of DCS.

Pee if you can, hold it if you can, cut wee holes in your suit as a last resort, but avoid dehydration at all costs.

Iwouldn't have chimed in, but I like your name :blinking:

Just looked for sources and found this one.

The Dangers of Dehydration » Scuba Diving Sites

Not very good, but I had to include it because it containns the words

If nitrogen can't be released at the proper rate, ascents can take longer - and your oxygen may run out.

:rofl:

Here's a better one: -

ARTICLE 1

Safe diving.

No one has mentioned the other problem with peeing in your wetsuit....

How about forgetting that you're not diving? It's really embarrasing when your standing in line at the grocery store and you just start peeing. I think next time I'll wear my wetsuit to the grocery store. :)

Back
Top Bottom