Another fatal record attempt in Lake Garda, Italy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's interesting to me that it's okay to sanction world records for hot dog eating promoting death by cholesterol, but deep diving is forbidden.
To be fair, for me, both should be erased. I really do not understand the purpose of "world records" - I see them as a stupid macho-testosterone thing. I can find plenty of better ways to challenge our limits, for instance, through scientific research, geographic exploration, etc. Yes, sometimes people involved in these activities will end up breaking world records, but it is not (or it should not be) their primary purpose.

But maybe it is just me.

To be fair, for me, both should be erased. I really do not understand the purpose of "world records" - I see them as a stupid macho-testosterone thing. I can find plenty of better ways to challenge our limits, for instance, through scientific research, geographic exploration, etc. Yes, sometimes people involved in these activities will end up breaking world records, but it is not (or it should not be) their primary purpose.

But maybe it is just me.
Animals often end up dying due to scientific research without a choice in the matter. At least those who choose to place their own lives at risk to break a record had a choice.

When you add water people think they need to step in and prevent accidents such as wanting to shut down caves to diving following an accident using scuba, but no one talks about shutting down a national park if a hiker falls off a cliff or shutting down the mall or the food court at the mall if a fat guy dies in the mall of cardiac arrest.

Animals often end up dying due to scientific research without a choice in the matter. At least those who choose to place their own lives at risk to break a record had a choice.
True, but with research and/or other activities with a specific purpose that enriches the community, at least we enrich the community.

With these "world records" for the only sake of "world records", people actually create big damage (emotional to their family and friends and economical to society) without providing any advantage to the global community.

Now, if no damage to the collectivity at all is involved, people can and should feel free to do whatever they want. But if potential damage is involved - that's a big no, in my opinion.

So I see two things:
(1) With exploration, research, etc., there is a purpose and an enrichment of the collectivity. With "world records" just for the sake of being the "number 1" - no, no purpose at all; people who die, die for nothing (except their ego - call it a personal challenge if you prefer)
(2) When something terrible happens, there is damage to the collectivity; this damage is repaid in the case of science, exploration etc., through the results; in the case of world records, no, there are just expenses, often pretty high... and, again, for what? For nothing...

Sometimes it seems we forget that we are not alone in this world.

But it is really only my perspective, and I sincerely don't want to change yours.

When you add water people think they need to step in and prevent accidents such as wanting to shut down caves to diving following an accident using scuba, but no one talks about shutting down a national park if a hiker falls off a cliff or shut down the mall or the food court at the mall if a fat guy dies in the mall of cardiac arrest.
It’s all down to the mystery of not understanding how safe scuba is, due to training and practice. Everyone knows how to hike, few know how to dive.

When you add water people think they need to step in and prevent accidents such as wanting to shut down caves to diving following an accident using scuba, but no one talks about shutting down a national park if a hiker falls off a cliff or shutting down the mall or the food court at the mall if a fat guy dies in the mall of cardiac arrest.
Here I totally agree with you :)

Although the situation is quite different and the differences must be considered (more users for the national park!)

True, but with research and/or other activities with a specific purpose that enriches the community, at least we enrich the community.

With these "world records" for the only sake of "world records", people actually create big damage (emotional to their family and friends and economical to society) without providing any advantage to the global community.

Now, if no damage to the collectivity at all is involved, people can and should feel free to do whatever they want. But if potential damage is involved - that's a big no, in my opinion.

So I see two things:
(1) With exploration, research, etc., there is a purpose and an enrichment of the collectivity. With "world records" just for the sake of being the "number 1" - no, no purpose at all; people who die, die for nothing (except their ego - call it a personal challenge if you prefer)
(2) When something terrible happens, there is damage to the collectivity; this damage is repaid in the case of science, exploration etc., through the results; in the case of world records, no, there are just expenses, often pretty high... and, again, for what? For nothing...

Sometimes it seems we forget that we are not alone in this world.

But it is really only my perspective, and I sincerely don't want to change yours.
As a kid, I loved watching Evel Kneivel jump his motorcycle over things. At least he turned setting world records into a way to enrich himself and his family a bit more than if he had still been a hunting & fishing guide. The toys were lots of fun to play with and provided lots of bonding time with childhood friends. I think jumping my bike over things as I grew older gave me some courage to take on life I may not have developed otherwise. So even a crazy world-record can be big medicine for the heart and soul as it impacts others.

As a kid, I loved watching Evel Kneivel jump his motorcycle over things. At least he turned setting world records into a way to enrich himself and his family a bit more than if he had still been a hunting & fishing guide. The toys were lots of fun to play with and provided lots of bonding time with childhood friends. I think jumping my bike over things as I grew older gave me some courage to take on life I may not have developed otherwise. So even a crazy world-record can be big medicine for the heart and soul as it impacts others.
Tracy, sorry, but that "world record" was for the sake of "show business", which differs massively from those who go deep just to go deep.

Show business provides jobs to many people, inspiration, etc. When people do scuba diving records, not many jobs are created, and most of them are temporary. Ultimately very few people manage to gain something, and when they do, the gain is personal or circumscribed into a tiny circle.

We are speaking about different beasts.

P.S. To be exhaustive, I believe there are better methods to inspire kids than "world records", for instance, competitions: baseball, soccer, football championships, etc. Or, for example, acrobatic motorbike competitions. Sometimes there will be some guys breaking world records, but again, the primary purpose is not the world record itself (in all fairness, it may also happen to break world records during scientific exploration, like the first men who walked on the moon).

P.P.S. You are challenging me a lot, which I like! But I am not an expert in anything, and I worry that we may discuss subjects that are well-known by experts with a naive approach. For instance, I bet that psychologists have already studied the best way to inspire and motivate kids - and what I previously mentioned is probably far from their conclusions, if they exist. So, just be aware of my lack of competencies :)

Tracy, sorry, but that "world record" was for the sake of "show business", which differs massively from those who go deep just to go deep.

Show business provides jobs to many people, inspiration, etc. When people do scuba diving records, not many jobs are created, and most of them are temporary. Ultimately very few people manage to gain something, and when they do, the gain is personal or circumscribed into a tiny circle.

We are speaking about different beasts.

P.S. To be exhaustive, I believe there are better methods to inspire kids than "world records", for instance, competitions: baseball, soccer, football championships, etc. Or, for example, acrobatic motorbike competitions. Sometimes there will be some guys breaking world records, but again, the primary purpose is not the world record itself (in all fairness, it may also happen to break world records during scientific exploration, like the first men who walked on the moon).

P.P.S. You are challenging me a lot, which I like! But I am not an expert in anything, and I worry that we may discuss subjects that are well-known by experts with a naive approach. For instance, I bet that psychologists have already studied the best way to inspire and motivate kids - and what I previously mentioned is probably far from their conclusions, if they exist. So, just be aware of my lack of competencies :)
I disagree. Let's say he succeeded. You really think not one of the gear manufacturers would contact him to ask what worked, what didn't and what could be improved?
While I agree on taking this apart to see what went wrong, so we can learn from it, he found it worthy of his effort. End of story.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom