Another fatal record attempt in Lake Garda, Italy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steinbil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
According to sources in a FB scuba group, there was another fatal scuba accident in Lake Garda yesterday. Supposedly an attempt to set a new world record for deepest dive.

I will not post names, as I have not seen anything published about the accident, and this is purely hearsay. Very few details about the incident were shared.

According to sources in a FB scuba group, there was another fatal scuba accident in Lake Garda yesterday. Supposedly an attempt to set a new world record for deepest dive.

I will not post names, as I have not seen anything published about the accident, and this is purely hearsay. Very few details about the incident were shared.
Another Polish deep solo diver. Some info here: Tragedia nelle acque del lago: il sub disperso è stato trovato morto
From the article he was found at 8 m depth, and it is supposed that he passed out during the last part of deco.

Jarek Macedonski, he set the world record on CC in 2018 there at 316 metres. I will post links and more info later.

This fellow tried to break his record a few days following...

If you Search this forum for Garda, you'll find pages of threads.

The administrator of the diving FB group reposted Jarek's post from 17th of May this year when he tried to go down below 300m unsuccessfully. He seems to be trying to make a point with reposting that entry. Perhaps CCR users can decipher if the failures listed below were serious or could have contributed to what happened this time (he was found at 8m apparently, where he was undergoing deco.)

1665019953222.png

He left the beach at 8am to commence the dive and started to return shortly after for unknown reason. I'm told he didn't get below 10m. Apparently no obvious equipment faults.
In that case likely to be some sort of rebreather failure I would think.

Last 3 CCR record fatalities were all in the same way.
One scooter that usually fails in some way, either no bailouts or a bailout ccr whose WOB makes it incapable of supporting life deeper than 150m, no support divers and a "expert" record diver with something like 5 years of relevant experience at best.
The Polish embassy in Italy should buy a ROV for the local search and rescue.

Those "deepest dive" attempts seem so pointless. Nothing to do with going down to do something -- push the cave further, investigate the flora and fauna, find the bell of the wreck... no. All about ego of a diver who's probably nowhere near dived up enough to perform the dive, nor using the right equipment and support.

In any case the commercial and military divers have apparently been way deeper than 350m. What next, the deepest freediver to survive?

Pointless.

Back
Top Bottom