Another explicit pee-valve thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaregia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After a recent blowoff, I was advised by a buddy that I might want to consider being "more honest with myself" regarding catheter size. However, putting aside the fact that I feel like I've been quite "honest" already, my anatomy seems to be exhibiting a sense of dynamic truth (in the passive state). In a warm room with a sizing guide, the recommended level of honesty is more relieving than at a chilly dive site. This isn't really any surprise, but it gets even more disturbing once I start trying to cram myself into the catheter, at which point my equipment appears to be trying to run back into my body to hide. So, while I start out the activity wondering how the hell I'm going to get the catheter onto myself, I finish the activity trying to figure out how the hell the catheter is going to stay on. I'm somewhat concerned that a more "honest" attempt at sizing will only exacerbate this and leave me envious of eunuchs.

Is this a known issue? Discussions with my buddies are leaving me feeling like an uncircumcised kid in the locker room of a Jewish junior high school.

(ps yes, Rochester's sample kit is in the mail, but I'm sort of scared of the coming activity)

Dude. If chicks can get the she-pee to stick to their junk, you just aren't trying hard enough. Get the largest cath they make, manscape prodigiously, and glue that baby on. If you have to, get a big enough one to stuff all of your junk in and glue that baby on tight. I know what you mean about shrinkage, even if warm and snug in a drysuit, it seems like the shrinkage makes your stuff into an innie. Hard to keep an external cath applied.

I have never used a condom cath or a pee valve, but have wondered about the effects of cold on the anatomy in this situation. I will be very interested in what others have to say about this. The "button on a fur coat" effect would cause a problem in this case. I hope you get the answer you are looking for.

I am not really sure if sizing is the big issue its made out to be. Its not meant to be friction fit. The condom needs to be big enough to roll on, small enough not to wrinkle too much.

Shower and wash yourself at least the night before, excess skin oils will reduce the effectiveness of the adhesive. If you are the type with real oily skin or had adult activities after you shower, you can clean yourself with an alcohol swab just before application so insure even better adhesion.

Although I have never had a blowout, the standard flex condoms sometimes feel like they are loose even when not. Its a freaky feeling. If you are concerned, buy the wide bands (glued from just below the tip to the base), no doubt about the integrity of the seal. The only problem with the wide band is the glue is close to the tip and you need to make sure you initially position your opening in the center don't seal yourself shut.

I hope that's frank enough for you

Very interesting thread and one my wife read and said, "Peter, here's your thread!"

My experiences generally confirm:

a. BE CLEAN -- the glue almost wants to come off if there is any oil.

b. Make sure there are NO restrictions, kinks, etc. in the tubing -- it seems that IF there is any resistance/back pressure, all is lost (or kept as the case may be).

Any other helpful hints?

Always put your catheter on at the hotel or home. You can still do your business with it on and before you plumb up. Don't wait until you are about to dive where the temps, humidity, etc, are not constant. Clean, and shave up, before as noted above. I use the rochester wide band and have never had a blow out. I have been using a p valve since the late 90's. For us guys, it shouldn't be that tough.

https://www.athomemedical.com/External-Catheters/Rochester-Medical-WideBand.asp

I prefer one size larger than I "need" to help ensure that I get NO glue on the delicate section (the section that used to be covered by my commandeered foreskin.) Yeeow!

Jxh2297, I guess that could make installation easier, but I have found that I get a more durable seal if I am not "fluffed" during installation.

Aquaregia, never had your problem but I have heard that if you are between sizes, at least for Rochester widebands, it's best to go with the next size up. Position the end of the adhesive band as far down as it will go to maximize the surface area of the adhesive contact. If you are uncircumcized, make sure your foreskin is pulled forward. As Peter said, cleanliness will allow a better seal and avoiding kinks in the hose is critical for avoiding back pressure that can result in leaks.

depending on your valve tubing, you may need to trim off some of the little end.

and frank, i think i love you again.

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom