Another end of dive collapse...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Something similiar happend on a dive boat that I was on ( different day, but the guy was back diving when I was there), and the local doc said it was a probably an abdominal cramp, tho he was treated for DCS while on the boat. Perhaps Joe was a little dehydrated from the beers, and got his electrolyes out of balance, hence a generalized cramp...maybe..?

The signs/symptoms that were described sound much more serious than a generalized cramp. I could be wrong (and I"m not reading teh whole thread again to find out), but I don't remember reading about Joe drinking any beer either. Either way... a general cramp doesn't require a trip the the chamber (among other things!).

I certainly hope that Joe is feeling better, and has been cleared to dive again! Joe, if you're reading this... can you let us know?

I just read the thread and am just curious what equipment the captain keeps in his first aid kit. I know oxygen is standard, but do you know if they keep an AED, IV fluids, or any cardiac drugs just in case? The airline I work for has stuff on the planes so if someone goes down, and there is a nurse, MD, or paramedic on board they can actually do something.

It's not standard to keep that stuff on board. I'd like to have an AED, but until they come down in price a little it's not gonna happen. I do have O2 and a pretty extensive first aid kit. I'm looking at the possibility of adding an Epipen to my kit in case of severe allergic reactions to marine life.

Rachel

I'm glad to hear you're ok Joe:D That was quite some story and the good thing is you're here to tell it. I also think it was a great job by those on the boat who administered to you.

Not sure if you're still reading this thread, Joe, since it's been a couple of months.

After reading Rick's original post, I was *very* glad to see you up and posting... (I *do* believe divers tend to feel empathetic pain of fellow divers as much or more then any other community)...

I realize the only way a space occupying lesion (spinal bubble) can be definitively diagnosed is by examining the cord itself, I was wondering if your docs had given you any empirical data supporting their diagnosis, in light of your textbook dive profile.

I saw in your thread that you'd had a malt six-pack, and a tequila the night before, and was wondering if they cited that as a factor (resulting dehydration?).

Anyway... bottom line... I was greatly relieved at your recovery... Hope you are/will be cleared again for diving shortly...

-Barry

rigdiver:
My guess would be TIAvsScopalamine. If it were low blood sugar he would not have come around unless he got some D50 or some other form of glucose. I have had students say the scopalamine made them sicker than the seasickness ever did. One student took scopalamine the day before a trip and had contractures in his hands. Scop used to be given to women in labor to put them in "twilight" sleep. Much like today's conscious sedation where the pt does not know what's going on but can still take commands like "BREATHE." I believe scop was originally invented in Germany in the 30's as a truth serum. Bad stuff in my opinion.
Bill
Scop works nicely and plenty of divers are using it.

Obviously there are important rules, like: test wearing it for 24 hours on land first before using it for diving! Admittedly, if the diver in this story had done that and scop was to blame the outcome could have been worse. However, if he was following instructions, he'd had the patch on for at least 6 hours before even getting on the boat - it seems unlikely that a bad reaction suddenly kicked in just as he surfaced from the dive - too much of a coincidence.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom