Another Eagles Nest fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too feel little sympathy, but perhaps a bit of envy.

I do have to wonder about the value of such medical exam requirement for scuba. Any stats on what good they do? Would they not also be appropriate when it comes to other activities like driving, skiing, or even shoveling snow?
You mean like - piloting a plane?

Interesting since PADI has no full cave course..
Let's begin with the original statement. The requirements do not specify the agency for either the student or the instructor. The instructor could be a cave instructor for NSS-CDS, and the student could be certified by NACD. It is similar to the PADI requirement that a PADI cavern instructor must be full cave certified--that requirement does not specify an agency, either.

Next, let's look at the second half of your contention. PADI does in fact offer cave certification. I have that certification. When I was certified as a cave diver by NSS-CDS, my instructor told me I could get the PADI certification as well. It was new then, and at that time only 4 instructors were certified to offer it. I don't know the current status.

Reactions: Jax
We can go back and forth on this... People should look at their age and health...

Jim...

We can go back and forth on this... People should look at their age and health...

Jim...

Yes, people should take responsibility. Authorities should make safety requirements based on facts (stats and science), not whimsy.

A big difference between a clearance physical for diving and for CDL's (and pilots too from my understanding) is that a diving exam is to limit personal risk while the CDL is to limit risk to the public.

Only to a very limited extent does the CDL exam benefit a driver. Its focus is not health but identification of risks. I always tell drivers to not consider this a health exam but rather a risk assessment and still get their regular exams by their providers.

There is no real blood work-up done for the CDL... Piss test for drugs...

Jim...

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom