Another Diving Fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For divers, this means heading for the surface even if it was not your planned egress point. Surface swim from there.

Generally, I agree with this advice especially if you might run out of air. But, when surface conditions are bad it's best to stay underwater while swimming to the down line. In the description of the accident in post #1 it was mentioned there were five foot swells and high winds. In those conditions you are going to have some waves breaking over the top of you and you're not going to get far doing a surface swim. You are going to be exhausted trying to reach the boat if you ever do. If you get to the boat you will have to deal with a stern that's pitching up to five feet. Yeah, good luck trying to time the ladder to get on the boat. I got hurt when I slipped off a ladder in three foot swells. Fortunately, I didn't break my leg. I was able to climb back up the ladder and get on the boat.

Hey guys, I understand the thread is quite old, but I just found it, and I am the son of James Webb. Drowning was the official cause of death because that’s what happened last and I guess without seeing heart rhythm they can’t actually say heart attack. Autopsy reports indicated that heart attack was likely if not certain.

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your father. Thank you for coming here and sharing the additional information. My condolences to you and your entire family.

I hope those of you offering advice to MichaelG realize that you are responding to a 20-year old post put by someone who likely stopped reading ScubaBoard shortly after that and who possibly has barely dived since then.

As for jeepinjeepin, who resurrected this thread, I offer condolences for your loss. Yes, drowning is almost always listed as the cause of death on scuba because that is indeed the cause of death. It can be very hard to figure out what caused that drowning, as is true in this case.

Hey guys, I understand the thread is quite old, but I just found it, and I am the son of James Webb. Drowning was the official cause of death because that’s what happened last and I guess without seeing heart rhythm they can’t actually say heart attack. Autopsy reports indicated that heart attack was likely if not certain.
I am sorry for your loss.

Thank you for providing additional information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom