Another dead camera.. repair?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan

Knight Scublar
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I bought my Canon A75 because some fool dropped my Digital Elph S200 into a lake.

Today someone dropped my A75, with lens open, right into the sand.

Besides the fact that I'm never going to let anyone else use my camera again, there's a significant amount of sand in the lens motor mechanism. It makes horrible grinding noises when opening and closing.

I dismantled my Elph in an attempt to fix it, but the A75 housing seems even more complex and I'm not comfortable enough to pry this open when it's actually in working condition.

Do you think I can take this thing into a camera shop and have them fix it? I plan on calling around tomorrow or Monday, but I'd like to be armed with as much info as possible before I do. Am I going to get "It's not worth it, just get a new camera" or "bring it on in, we'll take care of it right away"?

jonnythan:
I bought my Canon A75 because some fool dropped my Digital Elph S200 into a lake.

Today someone dropped my A75, with lens open, right into the sand.

Besides the fact that I'm never going to let anyone else use my camera again, there's a significant amount of sand in the lens motor mechanism. It makes horrible grinding noises when opening and closing.

I dismantled my Elph in an attempt to fix it, but the A75 housing seems even more complex and I'm not comfortable enough to pry this open when it's actually in working condition.

Do you think I can take this thing into a camera shop and have them fix it? I plan on calling around tomorrow or Monday, but I'd like to be armed with as much info as possible before I do. Am I going to get "It's not worth it, just get a new camera" or "bring it on in, we'll take care of it right away"?

that sucks. Given that someone else seems to have caused the problem, a possible solution might be to hand the whole thing over to them and say "bring it back to me when it's working again"

Just a thought :)

alcina:
limeyx - actually that's a very good idea. I personally wouldn't dream of returning something in any shape other than how it was handed to me so I often assume others will do the same.

Agreed. A buddy of mine (nameless) flooded my light, and even though it was his first time using it, paid the full $ amount to get it fixed. Just stands to reason in my mind.

Gotta agree with you, alcina. If I borrow something and break it, I feel obligated to make it right. One time I accidently backed into someone elses tool box with a tug and knocked it over causing some damage. That someone got a new tool box and I got a slightly used, slightly dented one. His cost-$0. My cost-$600.00 JM2C

She agreed to have it repaired, but she's as broke as broke can be and I trust myself a lot more to actually get it to a repair shop in a reasonable amount of time. Payment can be arranged with her later, if at all.. I can afford it a lot better than she can.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom