Another canister question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mitchy

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Haven't been out yet this year, so I can't test this theory...

Can an aluminum water bottle be converted into a canister for a light?

Would it have the integrity to not collapse under the water pressure.

I understand that the lid would have to be modified/a new one with latches manufactured.

Now that's thinking aoutside the box! The "duct tape and bailing wire box"... lol
I bet the vessel is fine, the lid may not.

I went on a chamber ride with a group a couple of years ago. My son took his aluminum water bottle into the chamber and forgot to crack open the lid. It was only partially full and at about 130ft there was a loud bang and the bottle collapsed.

We have the answer! Thanks for sharing...

why couldn't you use a nalgene bottle, I can say they wouldn't collapse.

I have not, BUT I know that they were made from lexan.
[video=youtube;e5trCiVVY6M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5trCiVVY6M&feature=related[/video]

Any potential worries of heat buildup or chemical mixing with the nalgene?

I don't know that there would be an issue, I've used my nalgene with coffee with no ill effects. It would seem to me that you would have to have enough wire to pre-twist it when screwing down the lid. I'm pretty sure that the box style battery holders are made from lexan as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom