Another callout 122604. Will this be the last?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The original post is missing but we had a couple of Darwin Hunters, OK, Duck Hunters, flip a boat in a mostly ice covered lake. They survived but here is the follow up post I did a couple of days ago.

Night before last I was one of 12 Deputies that were involved in a shooting. It started out as 10 but we lost one and a trainee in the confusion.

A couple of months ago the department did the brass rotation they do every few years. The jail brass came to operations and operations went to the jail.

Our new Captain is to say the least, a by the book and only by the book person. NO LEIGHWAY at all period.

His new policy about using our K-9 units had a lot to do with not taking the now dead suspect into custody earlier in the evening. He doesn’t like or believe in the dogs and would like to see the program end.

The same goes for diving. He doesn’t understand it so the less he understands the more he restricts it and goes by the book, that HE will eventually write.

To make a long story short, we had a Jon Boat overturn with 2 duck hunters in it. It was only 180’ from shore in 19’ deep water. Both made it to shore.

I made a dive to recover the 2 lost and LOADED shotguns. Both were dropped closer to shore in roughly 9’ of water. One was within 20’ of shore. Due to the bottom being churned up in the people recovery and very thick deep weed I couldn’t find them even with a tight line search.

So now I’m on the carpet because I did a properly set up dive with the proper people but I went after objects with no evidentiary value to the department.

He wouldn’t listen when we said it was two loaded, chambered and ready to fire shotguns within reach of kids or anyone else. They were using factory moisture sealed rounds that can last a long, long time underwater and still fire. Once the water clears they might be visible from the surface.

So I’m in the process of getting some type of discipline action for doing the dive. There is also he possibility of the other two divers on scene getting something negative.
Time will tell but the shooting has taken the heat off of me for the time being. I would much rather be dealing with him than the shooting though.

We need as many prayers as the world can muster. Mike isn’t doing very well right now.

And I’m sniveling about getting a write up.

Here are some of the articles on the shooting.
http://www.cdapress.com/articles/2004/12/29/news/news01.txt
http://www.cdapress.com/articles/2004/12/29/news/news03.txt The car in this photo is mine.
http://www.cdapress.com/articles/2004/12/30/news/news04.txt

There is a lot more but this will give you an idea as to what is going on. 1/3 of our patrol force was involved so that has placed one hell of a burden on the other 2/3. Hopefully I will get to come back on the 4th.

Gary D

Now for an update:

Mike is improving slowly. He has brain activity and that is a major step towards him surviving. Please pray for him and his young family.

The Captain. He has been suspended pending termination, which we all hope happens. The straw that broke the camel's back was he brought everyone back to work the next shift except the two that did the actual shooting. I got a 6 hour break after putting in 13 hours and then right back for another 12.

2004 has just sucked. Thanks to Post Falls Police and the Idaho State Police. They came forward and started taking all the calls from us and the Coeur d'Alene Police Department. We didn't even ask, they just took over.

Gary D.

I know we've never met, but from reading your posts, I kinda get the impression that a bad note in your file wouldn't bother you too much.

Seems to me you did the right thing. Please don't let the small minded keep you from keeping us safe.

Prayers to your colleague, and I hope your '05 is much, much better.

My thoughts are with the injured officer. Good luck on the write-up, GaryD. FWIW, you were right, the REMF was wrong.

Gary:

The other post went MIA with the problems. I just wanted to advise you that I continue to pray for the officer, his family, and the fellow officers.

I ask other PSD's as well as SB members to do so as well.

Dan

I was with the Under Sheriff (#2) for over an hour last night. We have worked together for the past 28 years 3 months.

The Captain that was just suspended has had everyone so scared nobody would come forward. He operates on a “Management by Fear” philosophy. The more pressure he can put on you the better you will perform. The department feels the opposite way.

I could care less about a flippin write up. But per policy if you get three for the same thing it is grounds for termination. What the Captain would do is find one or two areas and get you two quick write-ups. That is what he was starting to do with me.

He just got caught up in his own trap. He disobeyed several direct orders from the Sheriff and Under Sheriff and during our de-briefings a lot came out.

The Under Sheriff, who is a past long time dive team member, is so mad I can’t post what he said but it would blister the paint off the walls. In all the years we have been together I have never heard that man speak that bad about another human being.

It’s not for sure yet and might take a few weeks but we think the Captain is gone FOR GOOD!

As far as my write up, it’s off the table and over with.

Now about Mike. We have another de-briefing in an hour. And I will post the update on his condition. Doesn’t look that good. :^(

Have a Happy New Year everyone. We don’t have any snow and very little ice so we should be quiet.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
We need as many prayers as the world can muster. Mike isn’t doing very well right now.
Gary D.
Will do, Gary.
Glad your write-up is off the table, and it's sounds like there may be some justice within the department after all. Keep up posted.
As to the shotguns, me thinks you just wanted to find theme before I did. :wink:

Gary,

Here's hoping you have a better and slower year this year! As for Mike and his family, we are still praying for him. It's such a terrible thing to see a family go through such things, and to make matters worse it sounds like the situation might have been avoided... It's a shame that it takes so great a tradgedy to invoke a little change in the chain of command, when it sounds like the problems were so obvious.

Although I agree that your captain needs disipline and or termination, If he is at all responsible in any part. The guilt that will be placed on his shoulders is a burden I wouldnt wish on anyone.

Again, sending my heartfelt prayers to Mike and his family.

This is todays paper article.

Mike is still in very bad shape so please keep praying for him.
We know we aren't getting the same Mike back but we want him back.

http://www.cdapress.com/articles/2005/01/01/news/news01.txt

I can't thank the LEO's in the Seattle area enough for the way they have treated Mike, his family and us. Your departments have just been wonderful and someday there will be a very special place for you.

Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom