ANO CL 2300 Dive Light: recommended ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roger Hobden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
How recommended would be the ANO CL 2300 Dive Light ?

Can it be used on the surface ?

Are there any other similar lights with a favourable bang for the buck ratio ?

2300 lumens is a LOT of output. I don't think I'd want that much output for anything other than video lighting. However, this light says it has a 8 degree beam (spot light instead of flood light) making it a poor choice for video lighting.

Personally, I'd find another light. Either a wider beam if it's for lighting videos or a much lower output for signaling. With that much output, you're going to spoil your night vision (and anyone near you) on a night or cave/overhead dive.

That's purely my opinion.

As for the brand, I've never heard of them. That said, cheap (inexpensive) Chinese lights have been serving me well for years. I wouldn't hesitate to buy this brand if the light offered features I wanted at a good price.

I see the price for this is $389 on Amazon. Personally, I think that's too much for an "off brand" light. I've got several 1000 lumen off brand lights that I paid under $10 for. They're 3 or 4 years old now with many dives on them... I've also got some slightly more costly 1000 lumen lights. They've continued to work for about the same amount of time. I did buy one off brand light with a slider switch that went bad quickly.

No matter what light you buy, take it apart and lubricate the o-rings with silicone or other lubricant before you ever take it in the water.

If you're doing a dive where a light is a 'must have' rather than just a nice add-on then I would recommend bringing a small backup light just in case.

Unless you're doing some sort of technical/cave dive where extremely long runtime is a requirement then I would not consider a can light. I've got one, they're a bit more of a hassle.

What would be the maximum recommended amount of lumens for night diving ?

@victorzamora 's wife has one of the CL2300 and I've used it and been on plenty of dives with it. Great light for the money for cave diving. It also has multiple output settings so you can turn it down if you don't want that much light for whatever reason

Can the Ano CL 2300 be used on the surface ?

Can the Ano CL 2300 be used on the surface ?

on the lowest setting yes. most of the heat sinking in dive lights is intended to be done by the water and most will overheat if used too much on land. Not a great idea if you want any longevity out of them.

I bought one from ANO directly for sub-$200. Batteries are Samsung. Overall quality seems very good. Has three settings, 750 lm is the lowest. If you want to use it to walk to the mailbox and back, should be fine. If you want a camping light, buy a camping light.

Last edited:
):
on the lowest setting yes. most of the heat sinking in dive lights is intended to be done by the water and most will overheat if used too much on land. Not a great idea if you want any longevity out of them.

Thanks ! :)

Any dive lights with similar specifications that you would care to recommend ?

Any dive lights with similar specifications that you would care to recommend ?

what do you need a light for? what's your burn time requirements *determine battery size*, where are you going to be using it *determine beam angle*, why specifically concerned with surface use, what are you trying to see *to determine light output*, what's your budget? all of that is required before a recommendation can be made

Back
Top Bottom