Annual O2 cleaning?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And as to "no government regulation", I call BS on that too. Or perhaps your shop ignores the DOT Hydro service regulation too?
It's a regulation only when it comes to a business filling your tanks, IIRC. If you had your own compressor, you'd never be forced to do a hydro unless you wanted it filled by a shop.

I've never met a shop that requires Nitrox stickers. Many people don't have them.

Actually OSHA rules are part of the CFRs.

Here is a summary of the various rules: Why does Luxfer require cleaning for oxygen concentrations above 23.5%?

Here is the bit from OSHA:

1910.440 29 CFR Ch. XVII (7–1–13 Edition)
(i) Oxygen safety. (1) Equipment used with oxygen or mixtures containing over forty percent (40%) by volume oxygen shall be designed for oxygen service.

The issue with the OSHA rule is that it applies to commercial diving:

§ 1910.401 Scope and application.
(2) This standard applies to diving and related support operations conducted in connection with all types of work and employments, including general industry, construction, ship repairing, shipbuilding, shipbreaking and longshoring. However, this standard does not apply to any diving operation:

(i) Performed solely for instructional purposes, using open-circuit, compressed-air SCUBA and conducted within the no-decompression limits;

I have not yet called PSI to see where the specific reference is in the cfr's on this matter. I did it before and have forgot he answer. I am going to assume that in there is a statement that the tanks must be use in accordance with manufacturers design. You have posted the luxfer statement here is the catalina statement which says somewhat the same. I have not found the equivilant statement for faber. Also interesting that catalina does not authorize nitrox use above 3000# in their tanks.

High Pressure Aluminum Gas Cylinders | Composite Cylinders - Oxygen Compatibility in SCUBA Cylinders Aluminum Cylinders | Composite Cylinders | Impact Extrusions

When i went through the course they pointed out that there was various levels to require O2 cleaning 23 23.5 25 ect depending onthe agency. PSI adapted 23.5 as their policy, that does not make PSI law but they did it to provide a one rule fits all use 23.5 and you meet the specs for all tanks and all agencies with in reason. Also the fact that PP blending is still done was part of the decision. Also they acknoleged the commercial use aspect and that it did not apply to formally to recreational use. They felt that the use was legally moot and that the use did not change the physics involved with O2 in tanks. One must remember that PSI is an organization that has goals of the field not being held liable if they follow certain processes. Follow teh process and you are not found guilty in a suit.

you really don't have to do it every year (unless you suspect contamination ) that said the lds can require what ever they want ....especially if they think your buying "dirty" air from some other lds.......if you think its unreasonable go some where else .at my shop if a customer wants air in a o2 cleaned tank I just put in hyper pure air

Back
Top Bottom