Annual Key Largo trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reeldive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We did a club trip to Key Largo and booked with Sea Dwelers. They had just finished painting thier boat and splashed on tue., our first dive day, so the arranged to for us to dive with Horizon Divers that morning.

Would not recommend Horizon Divers. Thier Capt. as an attitude and didn't want to hear from us as to where we might want to dive. He took us to N.Dry Rocks and N. N. Dry Rock which the majority of us had dove on previous trips. We wanted wrecks and something new. Also thier pontoon boat only has side ladders to egress the water from and what serves as a tag line is realy a granny line that you must hang onto while de-finning. Caused my wife to fight to stay out from under the 2000 lb. boat.
Hey that thing could hurt you.

The Next two days were Great! Dove off the SeaDweller as originally planed. Did the HMS Benwood and got our wreck fix. Then molasses reef. Viz was excceptional!
The Folks at Sea Dwellers are real profesionalls and I highly recomend them. Stable dive boat and thier new dive platform is spacious and easy for us older divers to climb out of the water on. They remove your tank on the platform makeing it easier to get back to your next tank. The Crew is knowledgaqble, helpful, and courteous. I'll post a few pics in my gallery.

Just came back from Key Largo today. Dove with Horizon all week. The two captains who I dove with, Bob and Troy, were very friendly and helpful. Since they are in charge and responsible for the occupants of their boat they make the decision as to where the diving will take place. They decided to dive the City of Washington and another old wreck called the Tanawanda (I think). We also dove the Spiegel Grove with Mike (great guy) one of their DM's and did three reef dives: Snapper Reef, Hole in the Wall at Molasses Reef and French Reef. The two ladies who were assistant skippers were also helpful, friendly and informative. Can't remember their names (Must be getting old.). I had no problem at all with the side ascent ladders and the crew did a good job of helping me leave and enter the boat. I didn't see any difference as to whether the boarding location was at the rear or the side of the boat. I liked the boat. Lots of room to move around in and fairly stable.

Last month I dove with Sea Dwellers and was very satisfied with their operation also. Friendly, helpful bunch of guys. All in all, I would recommend both operations.

I love these kinds of posts. It really shows that each person is looking for something different from a dive op and what the want/expect out of a site.

For me N. N. Dry Rocks is one of the signature sitex in the Keys with some of the lushest reefs and great marine life. For me the Benwood is not a local fav.

As far as dive ops, if I have any choice at all, I don't want more than 6 or 8 on a boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom