Annual Equipment inspections?? Worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidHickey

Contributor
Reaction score
Kingsman, Ohio. Near Wilmington and Waynesville
# of dives
50 - 99
Good morning,
Just wondering what your thoughts are on annual equipment inspections. I just took my 3 tanks in for their annual inspections at a cost of 25.00 each. Then I asked about my regulators. Annual inspection on regulators another 25.00 each. And then Annual BCD inspection 15.00 each. And Console/Gauge another 12.00. Now don't get me wrong I'm 100% for safety and would not want to bypass anything that could jepardize myself or my wifes safety. BUT what exactly do they do during this inspection? Were not talking services just inspections. Do they breathe out of my regulator and say yep seems fine to me. Then inflate my BCD and deflate it and say Yep BCD is working. Or is there more to it than that? Just seems like a lot of money to have someone look over the equipment. I don't mind supporting the LDS but don't want to throw my money away either.
Thanks
David

Inspections on tanks is required or the LDS won't fill it. They check for signs of moisture, stress cracks, and overall integrity of the tank. If you ever see one go off, you will understand why this is important.

Personally, I dont see why you would have your BC inspected. I don't and never have and I have had the same one for 10 years now. Almost time to upgrade, I think.

Regs are probably the most important. Inspections are crap, IMO. I get them SERVICED either every year or every other year. They replace o-rings, seats, filters, and anything else that may be hard, brittle, worn out, or rotted. They condition your hoses with silicone to keep them from drying and cracking. This is your life support system. If any of your other gear breaks or goes down, you can survive. If your regs or tanks go bad, you are in trouble. Visual inspection can be done by you on bc, masks, fins snorkel, boots, suits, etc... but I would recommend having your regs serviced by the shop every year if possible. It may not be necessary, but the $80 dollars (one tank, one set of regs, and console) I spend is worth it to save my life. I am not sure what they do to the console, as I use a hose-less, air integrated computer that I replace o-rings (on the transmitter) on and that's all. It has a battery life guage and when it goes below 65% I replace the battery. There may be other things to do to my computer, I just don't know.

I see you pay a little more thin here if Fl. Both of you realy. But never the less. Your feg should have a matinace plan whin you bough it. Maybe you can check on that. But I think that the reg and tank is inportent. If you have ever seen a tank go off you would agre. Reg I think jest the pease of mined is worth $25

By local standards, $25.00 each to VIP the tanks is high unless it also includes the hydro test (required every 5 years). $10.00 to $15.00 is a lot more reasonable.

We will do a flow test of a regulator for $10.00 which includes an inspection but also a bench test to ensure it not only looks ok but also performs within specifications. During a flow test, the intermediate pressure should be checked and the inhalation and exhalation efforts should also be checked and adjustments made if neccesary. If it turns out it needs serviced and you get it serviced there is no charge for the inspection.

Our labor charge for servicing regulators in $10.00 per stage, which is low by industry standards. $25.00 per stage is still a fair price - for servicing, not just "inspection".

My suggestion is to ask them exactly what a regulator inspection involves before deciding if you need one (servicing may be a far better option).

Inspecting the console is included in a regulator service at no charge and the only additional charge would be for parts needed such as an HP spool, new battery etc. $12.50 to "inspect" a console is a real rip off unless it involves a calibration check in a pressure pot.

I would pass on the console inspection as well. The console will work until it does not and the most common problems will be a high pressure hose beginning to leak like an airstone in an aqarium (very obvious), a leaking HP spool, again very obvious, or a dead battery in a computer. Calibration is nice, but in my experience, cross chacking your gauge with your buddies gauge during a dive serves as a very good way to tell if one or the other is gving false readings. (And then if they disagree with each other, check them both with a third set to see which one is in need of replacement.)

If customers bring in a BC with a reg for service it will get inspected as well at no charge. Basically it does only involve checking for cracks, leaks, weathered hoses and to see if it inflates and holds air. $15.00 for that is again a rip off unless they are also going to rebuild/replace the seat in your inflator.

Consequently, I would also skip the BC inspection. The BC you can inspect yourself (and should now and then anyway, not just once per year).

$25.00 for a visual on tanks. OUCH! Here their only $8.00. A hydro + visual is $25.00, but that's only required every 5 years.

I'll do your tanks for $15. Too bad you only have three tanks!

Pay my travel expenses and I'll come to you! (j/k - I used to live in Centerville!).

The other day I checked on what it would cost to have my older brass regs serviced, 2 2nd stages, one 1st stage, SPG and inflater hose were gonna kill a hundred bucks, more if something not in the service kits was needed. Guess this shop knows they are the only dealer for this brand for miles around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom